The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

‘What’s All This Construction About?’: Changes to OHS

As you may have noticed toward the end of the year, additions to OHS are finally in progress. However, it’s looking like the construction will not be complete for the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year. So for now, how will the new digs affect the student body in the fall? The Current got a tour from site manager Frank Roberts and field superintendent Chris Geysen.

One significant change is happening to the auditorium. The hallway leading to the entrance to the auditorium will be extended to include a women’s and staff bathroom instead of only a men’s room. Changes to the actual space include new soundboards behind all of the seats, which will also be updated. New light fixtures and chandeliers have made the whole auditorium visibly brighter as well. All of the kids and teachers who find themselves spending hours in the auditorium during the year will certainly be happy about the plans to add an A/C and heating system, which will not be at the expense of the classic paintings along the stage.

Now, let’s talk about the 2nd floor to the science wing. Students will be able to access the new floor from the connector hallway. In addition, mechanical rooms will be placed in the tower and the current photo room. Regular photo classes will be moved up to room 320.

The changes to the auditorium and 2nd floor of the science wing are projected to be done by the end of first semester. Classes will be moved there by the 2nd.

All these changes are being referred to as “Phase 1” (make all the marvel related jokes you want), and include even more cosmetic alterations to the middle school and the rest of Ossining’s elementary schools. Changes to Anne M. Dorner Middle School include renovations to the cafeteria and band room as well as new lockers throughout the whole school, instead of those 50-year-old ones you had to yank open.

Other changes to the school buildings within the Ossining district are planned to continue over the next couple of years. So, for those of you coming into the district: be excited! Those who are graduating will have to come back to see what’s new.