Ossining High School’s Eight Intel Competition Semifinalists

Darwin Arias, Staff Writer

As most people in Ossining High School have heard, Ossining High School provides one of the most outstanding and leading Science Research programs in the nation. As freshmen, students are able to decide whether to be part of this program and earn up to 11 college credits. Although it may be a long process of writing and interviews, the Fundamentals of Science Research program provides opportunities for those who seek to advance in the researching field and as well gives students a first look at the Science world. Through hard work, dedication, and commitment, these students chosen to be a part of this program by the knowledgeable teachers Mr. Piccirillo and Ms. Holmes, are able to chose a topic they are enthusiastic to research about and research independently, following up with the Science Research teachers every two weeks. A final research paper is made by obtaining information from their research done throughout their sophomore and junior years, in which their senior year are required to present their work in multiple scientific competitions.

Of these competitions comes one of the most intriguing and prestigious scientific competitions, The Intel Science Talent Search. Annually, in this pre-college scientific competition, “ Semifinalists were selected from more than 1,750 entrants hailing from 512 high schools in 43 states, Puerto Rico, Washington, DC, and six American and international high schools overseas.” states the Intel STS organization.*

On January 6, 2016, 300, of the hundreds of competitors, were chosen as semifinalists in the Intel STS 2016. Each semifinalist receives a $1,000 award from the Intel Foundation and their school additionally is rewarded $1,000. Of these 300 Intel Semifinalists, 8 seniors attending Ossining High School, chosen directly from our Foundations of Science Research program, were recognized for their high intellectual performance and chosen as Intel Semifinalists. This accomplishment was greatly acknowledged by the school administration, not to mention Ossining High School had the most Intel semifinalists in a school in New York, a number of 8. Ossining High School is now celebrating the second time of having 8 semifinalists. 

*”Explore Student Science.” Student Science. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016.