The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

Cries of Yesteryear: Tales of a Kidnapping in Libya

www.timesofisrael.com
www.timesofisrael.com

The Arab Spring occurred more than two years ago, however, it continues to affect the Middle East and Africa. Libya has been infested with terrorism and militant behavior over the last couple of years, despite the fact that Muammar Gaddafi’s reign of terror ended in 2011. Recently, the Prime Minister of Libya was kidnapped by militiamen during an early morning raid. This kidnapping is just one of many acts of terror committed by militants in Libya, leading many to believe that Libya is just as unstable today as it was under Gaddafi’s reign.

It was halfway past two o’clock in the morning when Libyan militants kidnapped Ali Zeidan, the prime minister of Libya. Zeidan was permanently living in a hotel room in Tripoli, allowing the militants to plan the kidnapping very carefully. The kidnapping came just days after Zeidan’s office was stormed by militiamen. The men refused to leave the office unless they received monetary compensation. The soldiers were persuaded to leave; however, they laid waste to a government office as they said farewell.

The attack and the kidnapping are just some of many militant attempts to get Zeidan to resign from office. The lack of authority by the government has allowed militiamen to take control of the streets of Tripoli, most of the militants are dressed in American military attire.

The kidnapping of Zeidan was not the first, or the last act of terror committed by militiamen in Libya. Militiamen run the streets of Tripoli, allowing gun and drug trafficking to occur penalty free. The Militiamen also have control over water and power utilities, as well as influence over the production of crude oil. Once Gaddafi fell, so did his Libyan army. The fall of the national military and the arsenals of weapons it held has allowed hundreds of thousands of weapons to fall in the hands of the people. The Militiamen have taken over the capital and have acted swiftly in their handling of affairs, however they are not the only ones to blame for the mess. Powerful tribes have had a great deal of influence over the Libyan government, in fact at one point a tribe was able to cut Tripoli’s water supply for a week. The Government cannot stop the militiamen or the tribes, so they have decided to pay the militiamen and have recognized them as members of the national army. The Payment of militiamen has led thousands of jobless men to take up arms as “soldiers”.

The Libyan people were freed from the oppressor Gaddafi two years ago; however, their country continues to run poorly, replete with the anarchist corruption that stained their previous leader’s history. Libyan militiamen have taken to the streets and have acted as a vigilante force, to the point where they kidnapped Prime Minister Ali Zeidan. The United State’s aid has helped solve some social and economic problems, however, it will take more than money to get Libya’s government stable and strong again. It is clear that the acts of the tribes and the militiamen have hindered the progression of democratic ideals in Libya.