Construction Continues for a Potential Beachfront Residence Next to the Louis Engel Park in Ossining

Alina Campbell, Layout Editor

This past summer, construction work by Ginsburg Development began on the waterfront in Ossining, NY. Occurring near the Louis Engel Park, this construction  takes place in order to build luxury apartments.  These apartments are to feature, a rooftop pool and BBQ Area, a fitness center and spa, party/club rooms, concierge amenities, and a waterfront restaurant. This renewal of the waterfront is a great way to attract local residents to the waterfront. These apartments will spur and supply increased revenue for the town of Ossining.

More specifically, this structure will be a 5/6-split story residential building with courtyard at 1st floor level over two levels of parking garages; approximately 235,000 gross square feet (GSF) for residential floors and courtyard; and 113,000 GSF for the parking garages.  Residential levels are constructed of Light Gage metal bearing walls with Hambro floors. The parking garage will be made of composite steel and concrete.

Meanwhile, a group of Ossining High School students have been working through a government funded internship focusing on the Ossining waterfront. The project seeks to monitor the river to gain an understanding of Enterococcus bacteria levels. Every week since June 2015, students have sampled the water at a depth of one foot. The sample is isolated from the sunlight using a cooler, and bacteria nutrients are added to the sample. Afterward, the sample is poured into a plastic well container. Once the sample is collected, it is placed into an incubator for 24 hours. After incubation, the students analyze the amount of bacteria in each well. The wells with bacteria glow under UV light. This is how the students accurately analyze the sample. The number of wells that glow are noted, and a chart is used to assess the bacteria levels. Only one sample out of ten were found to have an advisory bacteria level. This project was conducted in hopes of opening up the Ossining waterfront as a beach attraction for the local residents.

Both the government funded internship and the apartment construction indicate that the Hudson River waterfront in Ossining NY is undergoing restoration. The luxury apartments are constructed in hopes of opening the beachfront residence. The research project focusing of E. coli has been funded since this June in hopes that the beach will be open to the public in time for the completion of the luxury apartments. This restoration of an area that was once occupied only by a park, will bring increased income and attraction to the town of Ossining.