Golden Globe Winners and Oscar Predictions

Twelve Years a Slave wins best picture--Drama.

urbanchristiannews.com

Twelve Years a Slave wins best picture–Drama.

Robert Cafarelli, Student Life Editor

On 12, January, the 71st annual Golden Globes were held, and on the 16th, the long awaited Oscar Nominations were released. The week was a big one for movie, TV, and award show fans everywhere.

In this year’s Golden Globes, the big wins were very scattered; there wasn’t one film that dominated. Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave won Best Motion Picture- Drama. Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams won Best Supporting Actress and Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical, respectively, for their performances in American Hustle. The David O. Russell film also won Best Picture- Comedy or Musical.

Both films led in Nominations for the Oscars in March.

The ceremony led to a lot of surprises, like Brooklyn Nine-Nine winning Best TV Show- Comedy or Musical, and Best Actor for Andy Samberg’s performance.  It was also a major surprise when co-host Amy Poehler won Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy for Parks and Recreation.

The Golden Globes are always a big predecessor for The Oscars nominations. Winners of Best Picture categories at the Golden Globes ended up on the list of the 9 Best Picture nominees.

The question now is, who will end up with the Award? Based off of The Golden Globes and attention from other awards, we can guess who would probably win.

For Best Picture, 12 Years a Slave has a good chance of winning, due to its high praise. It is a period piece, and a powerful film with amazing performances that also generated Oscar nominations. Though director Steve McQueen delivered a masterful performance, Alfonso Cuaron, director of Gravity will win Best Director in the end. With a high critical praise for his science fiction film, stemming from an incredible performance from Sandra Bullock, the entertaining blockbuster was in good hands.

In the acting category, it is rumored that Leonardo DiCaprio is a shoe-in for The Wolf of Wall Street, while Christian Bale for American Hustle is right there as well. For DiCaprio, his constantly powered up and wild performance as Jordan Belfort can give him his well deserved Oscar, this being his 4th nomination in the acting category. For Bale, his performance as Irving Rosenfield appealed to critics for being true to the Con-man character. If the past is any indication of the future, his 2011 win for another David O. Russell film, The Fighter, might increase his chances.

Best Actress may go to Cate Blanchette for her crazed performance in Blue Jasmine. Woody Allen, the director of the film is known for getting incredible performances in his films. Her amazing work will prove the point again.

Supporting Roles may end up going to either Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club or Michael Fassbenderin in 12 Years a Slave. On the ladies’ side, Lupita Nyong’o is a contender for her work in 12 Years a Slave. Two unlikely performances that are in the running are Jonah Hill in Wolf and June Squibb in Nebraska.

As concrete as the predictions can seem, this year has been a year of surprise for the film industry. A film about an old man who tries to get one million dollars? A movie about a woman thrown around in space? A film about an insane, greedy, shameless Wall Street broker who does “enough drugs to sedate the greater Long Island”? These three (Nebraska, Gravity, and The Wolf of Wall Street) were never expected to be Oscar attracted movies, which makes the whole thing a bit more interesting. Guess we’ll just have to tune in in March.