The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

Hollywood is Getting Back To Its Roots

Konstantin Sutyagin

The sound of stallions blazing across a barren desert, a mysterious figure entering the town saloon, two gunslingers facing off in a duel at high noon. All of these are telltale characteristics that come to mind when Westerns are mentioned. And fortunately for old west buffs, Hollywood is revisiting Westerns in a big way.

It makes perfect sense. Hollywood was basically built on Westerns and big names in the movie industry, from George Lucas to Quentin Tarantino, have touted their fandom. Although it’s been quite a while since the glory days of Clint Eastwood and John Wayne, it looks like the public is finally ready to see someone fill those dusty boots and spurs. Both Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise have Westerns planned that are poised to be big hits in 2013.

Armie Hammer, left, and Jonny Depp, right, as the Lone Ranger and Tonto in Disney’s adaptation of The Lone Ranger. (Source: watcherswatch.com).

Depp is currently filming The Lone Ranger with Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinsky. Depp plays the Lone Ranger’s trusty Native-American sidekick, Tonto. Depp is definitely infusing his usual bit of oddness into an already odd character, which will make for an interesting combo to say the least. But Depp isn’t the only star to revamp the Western. Tom Cruise has recently expressed his interest in remaking The Magnificent Seven, one of the most beloved Westerns to this day.

And of course you can’t discuss the outbreak of Westerns without bringing up the best Wild West event of 2012, Django Unchained. Director Tarantino is on his A-game for this spaghetti western that infuses the genre with his signature touch. From the James Brown soundtrack to the brilliant cast, such as Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio, it’s obvious that this film isn’t the usual cowboys and Indians flick.

With this new crop of Westerns Hollywood has in store for us, we can expect some spicy takes on the classic Western themes.