Ossining Boys Soccer’s Historic Season Comes to an End

Nick Lividini, Sports Editor

The Ossining Boys Soccer team just has one of the longest sectional runs in Ossining High School in recent years. Following their amazing season, winning their league and receiving the top seed in Section 1 Class AA playoffs, they competed for their first Section Championship since the 1970s. On Wednesday (10/24), the boys played 4th-seed New Rochelle, defeating them 2-0. Their confidence and chemistry showed on the field as they took great control over very tough team early on. Nolan Leneghan provided an early goal giving the team a spark and a 1-0 led, which they would add onto later as Alessio Hernandez scored in the second half. The number 1 seed has explained that their team chemistry is one of their driving factors. Hernandez explained, “Me and Mateo have been best friends since we were 6 years old […] We’ve always played on the same teams, so the chemistry is there”. Their next game was at Lakeland High School, on Saturday (10/27) at 6pm, and the team was sharing feelings of assurance. They were coming off of an upset against Arlington, a huge name in Section One soccer in the past few years. Kenlord Javier, another great player on the team, expressed that he felt “great about this next game”. Also he proclaimed, “We already played them (Ketcham) in the regular season and beat them 5-2, but we still can’t underestimate them”. Not to mention, Carlos Zabarburu, Ossining’s goalie, had 5 saves and had not allowed a goal in the first 3 playoff games. He also had a huge help by the defense as Alessio Hernandez adds, “Our back four are playing great”.

Although the boys did not come out with a win against Ketcham, losing 2-1, they still had one of the most fantastic seasons Ossining Boys Soccer has ever seen. Tons of fans, students and parents alike, drove to Lakeland to support the team, and were all heartbroken by the though loss. Yet the boys left their hearts on the field, and should still be proud of the history they made this past season.