Artist of the Month: Kevin Grigera

Mr. Quiroga

Gimme the Mic Senior Showcase 2016

Maddy Zarro, Staff Writer

When wandering the halls of Ossining High School, it is impossible to ignore the captivating works of art that adorn the walls, and the resplendent bursts of music that seem to color the air. That being said, the artists and musicians who create these works often remain unknown. Starting in September of 2015, The Current has decided to recognize these individuals in a monthly column honoring those whose impressive talents contribute to the vibrant creative setting of OHS.

Kevin Grigera, a senior at OHS, is one such individual. A bass player and singer of immense creative skill, Grigera has made several notable contributions to the musical community of OHS. He is a venerated musician of Ossining High School’s Gimme the Mic class, and a member of the band Park Avenue.

However, what’s most striking about Grigera is his incredible drive. Despite having only played bass for about a year and a half, Grigera approaches his music with a zeal and tenacity that is commendable. He produces excellent covers of existing songs, in addition to writing music himself. As for his preferred genre, Grigera considers himself to be “very open”. Nonetheless, his primary focus is on classic rock and metal. A fan of KISS, the Bee Gees, and Billy Joel, Grigera’s avid interest in music culminates in musical works that are rather spectacular in nature; they reveal an ardor for music that rivals that of the musicians he favors. Grigera’s remarkable dedication to furthering his already impressive musical abilities is stunning, and the fruits of his commitment are noteworthy and quite apparent. Whether it be a cover or an original piece, the music that Grigera performs reveals his determination and intellect, a combination that is sure to take him far.

Be sure to attend the October Gimme the Mic concert at the OHS Library, where you can watch the amazing performances of Kevin Grigera and many others.