Film and Lit Classes Study The Godfather

www.mindswork.co.uk

www.mindswork.co.uk

Julia Solari, Entertainment Editor

Many of you have probably heard of the Film and Literature class taught at OHS. It is an English course that incorporates both film and literature into its curriculum. This year three teachers from the English department teach Film and Lit. classes, Ms.  McRae, Ms. Bayer, and Ms. Hanrahan. On Monday, April 1st, Ms. McRae and Ms. Bayer took their Film and Lit. classes to see a showing of The Godfather at the Jacob Burns Theater in Pleasantville.

The Godfather is part of the Film and Lit. curriculum not only because it is one of the most famous movies of all time, but also because along with the movie there is a book that the class can study. About one hundred students took the field trip to Jacob Burns that day, and after the movie a discussion was held in the theater regarding it. There were many different reactions to the movie, and a lot of comparisons to the book were made.

Ben Ross, a senior, attended the trip. Although he has previously seen the movie, this was his first time seeing the movie after reading the book. He said to The Current “This time I saw the movie I was more interested, not only because I had read the book for class, but also due to the fact that I now have knowledge of different film techniques thanks to Film and Lit.” Jared Kerper, also a senior, had never seen The Godfather before this field trip. He said “I’m really glad that I saw the movie with my class because what I had learned in Film and Lit. gave me a great understanding of how they made the movie, and which techniques were used. That made it way more interesting.”

The Godfather is a classic and the Film and Lit. classes of OHS are really lucky to be able to study it. If you are looking for a movie to watch, or a book to read, The Godfather is a great choice; and if you are looking for an English class to take, you really can’t go wrong with Film and Lit.