Big Ten Player Takes Orthodox Approach to Make History

Liberman makes NCAA history

Kevin Trahan

Liberman makes NCAA history

Jake Weeks, Staff Writer

Aaron Liberman, a forward for Northwestern’s basketball team, was the center of attention during a game against the University of Michigan this past week, but not for the reasons one would expect. Instead of making history for his play, he made history as a result of his pride for his religion.  On January 5th, Liberman made Big Ten Conference history by being the first player on the court to sport a yarmulke during the game.

Liberman, otherwise known as the “Jewish Dwight Howard,” is 6′ 10”, a freshman at Northwestern, and one of three Orthodox Jews to play for a Division I basketball team.  Liberman started playing basketball seriously when he was a sophomore at Valley Torah High School in CA. Ever since then, he has been dedicated to working hard to manage his newly found career in basketball while still following his religion.

Sometimes, things get pretty complicated for Liberman.  He explained how he once had to travel 8 miles, by foot, from his house to practice on the Sabbath, as is required by his religion.  He is also required to take only cold showers after a practice or a game, as he is forbidden from using warm water.  Liberman has made many sacrifices to become better skilled at the game he loves, having to revert to old-fashioned tactics to make team events on Saturdays, the day of rest.

Liberman may not have had any points in the game against Michigan, yet he still made history. Will Liberman inspire other Jewish player to embrace their religion during practices and games? Only time can tell. Keep an eye out for a purple and white yarmulke in the next Northwestern basketball game. You never know what surprising things Liberman might do next.