The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

‘Captain Phillips’ Review

AP

Some of the greatest people in Hollywood just recently teamed up to create a movie that was released to theaters on October 11, 2013. It is called “Captain Phillips.” The Oscar nominated director, Paul Greengrass, and screenwriter, Billy Ray, found the perfect actor to play the main role. Captain Phillips is none other than the two-time Academy Award winner, Tom Hanks. The movie is a true story about Richard Phillips, the captain of a U.S. cargo ship, who surrenders himself to Somali pirates in order to free his crew.

Most movies receive mixed reviews; it’s only natural for some people to love a movie, while others hate it. However, mostly great things have been said about “Captain Phillips.”  Rotten Tomatoes, a movie critic website, stated that it is “smart, powerfully acted, and incredibly intense,” and followed by saying, “Captain Phillips offers filmgoers a Hollywood biopic done right — and offers Tom Hanks a showcase for yet another brilliant performance.” It is definitely true that this movie gave Tom Hanks yet another opportunity to shine. It also proves that Hanks can play any role, from a troubled boy in “Forest Gump” to a strong ship captain. Other critics have marveled in how great the other aspects of the movie are, such as the camera angles. When Richard Phillips, the real Captain Phillips, was asked if he liked the way the movie came out, he responded by saying that his favorite part of it is how Tom Hanks was able to portray how he actually felt. He stated, “They really got the tension and stress of the situation. The biggest thing that brought me back was when you look in the eyes of Tom Hanks when the pirates get on the ship, and then the eyes of the pirates. You saw the fear, which was in my eyes. You could almost see into Hanks’ brain, and see him trying to work out how to gain some control of the situation.” Clearly, Tom Hanks was the perfect actor for the part.

This movie is definitely a must-see film. Whether you are a fan of one of the many great actors featured, enjoy great special effects, or even if you would just like an accurate description of what went down on that cargo ship, this is the movie for you.