The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

World Series Preview: Why Each Remaining Team Can Win It All

Source: MLB

The MLB Playoffs have reached the point where the League Championship Series is over, and the World Series has begun. Two teams have advanced from the League Championship Series, and four have gone home with better hopes for next season. The two teams remaining are the Boston Red Sox, and the St. Louis Cardinals.

Each team’s goal at the beginning of every season is to win the World Series. However, only one team can. Both of these teams have the talent and the ability to win it all, but only one will. Whether it’s a superior offense or a dominant pitching staff, both teams  =have something that puts them in the running to take home a championship.

The Boston Red Sox concluded the regular season by finishing with a 97-65 record, which not only tied the Sox up with the Cardinals for MLB’s best record, but propelled them into the playoffs for the first time since 2009.  It is clear that the Red Sox have a great pitching staff, however the stellar offense is the real reason why Boston has gotten so the ALCS.  The Red Sox lineup is one that combines both power and speed, and it is one of the best in the game. The Boston lineup starts with speed with Jacoby Ellsbury, Shane Victorino, and Dustin Pedroia at the top.  Then, it moves on to the big power threats such as David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. Ellsbury, who hit .298 and stole 52 bases, sets the table for hitters like Ortiz, who hit .309 with 30 home runs and drove in 103 RBIs. A combination like this is tough on any pitcher, and is one of many reasons why the Boston Red Sox might win the World Series.

The St. Louis Cardinals are certainly one of MLB’s most consistent teams, as they made an appearance in the League Championship Series for the third-straight year. This is mostly due to St. Louis’ pitching staff, which has one of the best rotations and bullpens in the game. From ace Adam Wainwright, who went 19-9 with a 2.94 ERA on the season, to closer Trevor Rosenthal, who has the ability to throw 100 MPH, St. Louis boasts one of the best pitching staffs in the game. With a pitching staff like that of the Cardinals, the team might be able to pitch their way to the 12th Championship in team history.

So whether these teams are led by their pitching staff or their offense, one of them will win primarily because of these reasons. And no matter what team does win, it will be the result of strong talent. Both teams can secure a championship, it is just a matter of who wants it more. Strong pitching and consistent hitting has led these teams to the World Series, and one will take the championship trophy home to their respected cities.