Coach Profile: Jessica Esteves, Varsity Field Hockey

Hannah Purdy, Managing Editor

The Ossining Varsity Field Hockey team had a change in the coaching staff this year with the promotion of former JV coach Jessica Esteves. A seasoned player herself, Esteves has brought her bountiful knowledge of the game to the field where she leads her talented team. The Current had the opportunity to sit down with Coach Jessica Esteves to talk about her career as both a player and a coach.

TC: When did you start playing field hockey?

JE: I started playing Field Hockey in Third Grade. I played on a recreational team called “Dad’s Club” in Pleasantville that was coached mostly by parents, high school field hockey players and the Varsity Coach.

TC: What sparked your interest in the sport?

JE: I fell in love with the sport of Field Hockey because it was very different than many of the other sports I have ever played before. I also looked up to the Varsity players coaching me on the recreational team, and I knew that when I was in high school, Field Hockey is what I wanted to play.

TC: How long have you been playing?

JE: I having been playing Field Hockey for 15 years and still currently play! I was introduced to the sport in Third Grade and continued to play all through High School. In High School I played on travel teams such as Futures and the Hudson Valley Elite Team. I then continued on to play at a collegiate level. I played four years at a NCAA Division III College at York College of Pennsylvania in York, PA. I am currently playing on the Hudson Valley Summer League Open Division team, and I play on a Women’s League in New York City. I also currently play everyday with my team teaching them new skills and how to improve upon their current skills.

TC: Why did you decide to become a coach?

JE: Teaching has always been a passion of mine as well as Field Hockey. Coaching allows me to combine both of my passions into one. I enjoy teaching my athletes the sport of the Field Hockey as well as many attributes that come from being part of a team. I have had many coaches in my career. From the coaches I looked up to, I have learned how to be respectful, committed, positive, hard working, a leader, and a team player. I have also learned how to set goals for myself and how to accomplish them through hard work and dedication. Playing on a number of teams and having many positive coaches in my life has truly shaped the person I am today. I wanted to become a coach most importantly to be a positive influence and shape the lives of others the way many coaches have done for me.

TC: What do you, as a coach, look for in an athlete?

JE: As a coach, I look for many things in an athlete. I look for their leadership and communication skills with others. As an athlete on a team such as Field Hockey, there are eleven other players on the field with you. It is crucial that a Field Hockey athlete is able to provide leadership on and off the field as well as positively communicate with their coaches, teammates, and community members. I also look for an athlete that gives their all into every aspect of the practice and game. This athlete is fully dedicated and focused on the sport.

TC: What are your expectations of your athletes?

JE: My biggest expectation of my athletes is sportsmanship. I expect sportsmanship like behavior from all my athletes on and off the field. The more you continue your career in your desired sport, the more likely you will be on the same team, coached by, or coach with some of your rival teams. It is important to always show sportsmanship and positively represent your school and community.

TC: How has coaching and playing impacted your life?

Playing Field Hockey has impacted my life in so many ways. In high school, I was able to be apart of many teams and be coached by many different coaches. By being apart of these teams I learned how to work with many different personalities. As I started my career in Education, I used what I have learned and brought it to my career. Playing in college has impacted my life because I learned how to manage my time and I traveled to many different place that I would not have traveled to without playing. Coaching has impacted me personally, because I get so much joy when my past players who graduated come back to see me and are continuing to play Field Hockey in College or just doing great academically. It is a rewarding feeling.

TC: What is the most important thing you’ve learned as a coach?

JE: The most important thing I have learned as a coach is being open minded. I allow an open communication with my players to any suggestions or ideas that they may provide to the game. Many of my players will talk to me about positions, formations, corner plays and drills. I have learned that when you give the athletes ownership of the game they tend to learn and understand the game better.

TC: Coaches, especially for younger athletes, hold the responsibility of not only being a teacher but a role model for their players. How do you inspire and motivate your girls?

JE: The most inspirational and motivating thing that I can do as a role model to the Field Hockey Program is by leading by example. As a coach I always show sportsmanship to other teams, coaches, referees, commit myself to them, dedicate my time and practice/play with them.

TC: What is the best advice you could give to an athlete?

JE: Stick with the sport you are playing, even if it gets challenging, because you never know what doors it may lead to or open!