Athlete of the Month: Camilla Hagerman

Camilla playing in a hard fought game of field hockey against rival, John Jay.

ohs.ossiningufsd.org

Gabby Hagerman, Staff Writer

Being a student holds its own difficulties , but coupling that with the rigor of four years of sports, amplifies this difficulty. One student who is keenly aware of this reality is Camilla Hagerman. Camilla was generous enough to sit down with us and shed light on her experience with OHS sports.

TC: Congratulations on being Athlete of the Month, what was your favorite sport to play in high school and why?

CH: Thank you! I play lacrosse and field hockey. I started playing lacrosse in 5th grade and field hockey in 7th. I immediately fell in love with those sports and that’s why I stuck with them.

TC: Was it hard to balance school with sports?

CH: I was very committed to my sports, and varsity athletes know what it is like to be committed to their team. Sometimes I found myself being up late doing work but it was not a huge burden. I managed to balance work and sports pretty well because those were my main priorities.

TC: How did you prepare for games? What is the secret to your success?

CH:  I am constantly working out at the gym. I go at least four times a week. I run lot to get prepared for the upcoming seasons. I ate healthy by minimizing my portions of food during meals. 

TC: What was your best sports memory?

CH: All of my favorite sports memories were when we won games. I couldn’t have had a better feeling than that. This year for lacrosse we won on my senior night which meant a lot to me.

TC: What advice would you give to up-and-coming student athletes?

CH: My advice would be to always try to be the best you can be! Practice the sport on your own time to get better. There’s always room for improvement.

TC: What are your future plans after high school?

CH: I will be attending Indiana University next year. I am definitely trying out for the club lacrosse team there. I’ll never stop playing sports.