The Winter Onslaught Does Not Stop: A Sit-Down with Alyson Winter

Aaron Spring, Sports Editor

The Current: How did you manage to balance school work and sports, especially during junior year: the toughest time in high school?

Alyson Winter: I think playing a sport actually made it easier for me to manage my time, I knew I had to get my work done the second I got home. It was hard at times to keep up, however I got through it and I believe playing a sport in high school teaches student athletes time management.

TC: What do you think your greatest accomplishment as an athlete had been?

AW: My goal in field hockey was to transition from a defensive player into a middle field player. This transition allowed me to score the most goals for the field hockey team, which was pretty cool. I hadn’t scored previous to this year, so this was a big deal for me. I was also All-Section honorable mention, which was really cool. My biggest accomplishment in Gymnastics was qualifying for All-Around [in divisionals], I had never done this before this year.

TC: What was your favorite sport in OHS and why?

AW: I really enjoyed playing field hockey, but it is kind of a tie between field hockey and gymnastics, since I have been doing gymnastics since I was five. I really enjoyed playing a running sport, especially because it was a team sport, gymnastics isn’t really a team sport.

TC: Are you planning on playing a sport in college?

AW: I’m not playing a sport for a school, but I definitely want to be involved in club field hockey, club gymnastics, or intramural sports.

TC: What drives you during games and caused you to become such a great player?

AW: I wanted to do the best that I could do for myself, my teammates, and my parents. I wanted to give it all I had, since I committed to playing these sports. I loved the competitiveness of sports, I always wanted to give it all I had.