The Climate of the Classroom

Somari Davis, Opinion Editor

Everyday students sit in classrooms for about seven hours for five days a week. Everyday the students listen and take active notes given by the teacher, and everyday teachers repeat the same lessons over and over again for each of their classes. Yet, it seems as if more often than not students are starting to “teach” the teachers a lesson or give them a piece of their mind.

Growing up most children are taught to respect their elders; speak when spoken to, say please and thank you, don’t talk back; the whole nine but it seems as if all of this gained knowledge goes out of the window when they reach middle school and high school. You are seeing more and more students speaking to teachers with the utmost disrespect with conversations going so far as the students making teachers cry. Students are criticizing every single detail about from the teacher’s well being to how they teach the lesson.

On the other hand are teachers not setting the standard for the behavior acceptable in the class? If they are is too late in the school year for students to respect them?  Are teachers letting the students walk all over them or are they restraining themselves from speaking to student like their own child?  It seems there are two ends of the spectrum for student-teacher dynamics, with either the students completely stepping out of line or the teachers being too lenient or strict. There are two sides to this argument and not enough direct answers. The tension in classrooms have risen greatly making them a lot more heated and making people’s hearts a lot colder than necessary.