Should OHS Change Its Start-Time?

Malahni Banta, Staff Writer

Let’s face it: a vast majority of teenagers would much rather have school start at a later and more convenient time (or not at all), but in recent years, there’s been science to prove that their want may very well be a need.

It is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics that both middle and high schools should begin class no earlier than eight-thirty. Considering this, and the fact that students need eight to nine hours of sleep, and most get less than seven, clearly some sort of change needs to occur.

Most individuals put more effort and thought into their work during the afternoon than they do in the early morning, and many show much more enthusiasm and interest into class work and discussions as well. A change in the school start time would allow for there to be a much more rich and interactive learning environment, instead of silent students with tired eyes and a disinterest in anything that isn’t more sleep.

Despite these significant reasons for why we should change the start time, there are a few for why we shouldn’t as well.

It’s important to remember that a later start time would inevitably mean a later end time, and we would be faced with having to start or even discontinue certain extra-curricular activities due to the fact that the school day ended later in the afternoon. Not to mention, a later school time does not guarantee a healthier sleep schedule. Students would just go to sleep even later than usual due to the fact that they have a later start time, which would ultimately defeat the purpose of there being one.

So, what do you think– should we have a later start-time, or keep things the way they’ve been?