Green Ossining’s 5th Annual Earth Day Festival Comes to the Ossining Waterfront

Ossining+students+participating+in+last+years+Earth+Day+celebration+

Ossining students participating in last year’s Earth Day celebration

Soon il Higashino, Staff Writer

As the winter snow begins to melt away, the spring season takes the stage, and so does Earth Day of 2015. Although Earth Day is officially celebrated on April 22 annually, Green Ossining will be hosting its 5th annual Earth Day festival at the Louis Engel Waterfront Park on Saturday, April 18, 2015. Earth Day is not just a day for planting trees or picking up garbage: it is a day where one can learn how to maintain a healthy environment in our community so that subsequent generations may experience and enjoy the beauties of the natural environment just as we have.

For the past five years, booths and vendors run by eco-friendly business groups, community members, volunteers, and artists have gathered at the Waterfront to celebrate this exceptional event. Ranging from educational booths to eco-friendly products to food stands, the Earth Day festival creates an exciting atmosphere where one can learn to be conscious of one’s impact on the environment; buy handy tools that can substitute products that contain many chemicals; and enjoy a healthy snack and drink.

This year, some clubs from Ossining High School, including the Bike Club and the Environmental Club, will also be attending the festival and running booths. The Bike Club, headed by Physics teacher Mr. Scinta, will be working together with the Wobble Café to create smoothies by using power generated by recycling bicycles that the club has repaired throughout the year. The Bike Club will also help provide the Ossining Rotary with bikes for their “ Free Raffle” which will raffle off reconditioned bikes to people that need them. Because the theme of this year’s Earth Day is Solarize, the Environmental Club, led by Mrs. Baumann and Mr. Carlucci, will be handing out sunflowers to brighten your day, as well as focusing on education about the Hudson River ecosystem. The Environmental Club will be coordinating seining along the beach of the Waterfront; come drop by to learn about the various fish and organisms that live in our River! The festival will run from 11 A.M. to 4 P.M., and it will be a beautiful day on Hudson River. Everyone is welcome, and we hope to see you there!