The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

Freshman Blast: The Best Ways to Fight Those Fears

Some of the most disquieting parts about being a part of something new is finding your niche: the place in which you feel that you can fit in and grow as a person. Fortunately, Ossining High School, a community in which three hundred freshmen enter each year, has outlets. In addition to sports and other extra-curricular activities, there are other things to get involved with like clubs.

For those who view themselves as artsy, the art club is a great place to fulfill those impulses and start molding with clay, painting, or drawing. This club meets every week on Friday.

Additionally, each class at OHS has a class government. These are the people who are elected by the class, to serve the class, whether that be arranging fundraisers or making the prom cheaper. These are the leaders of the class, many of whom will grow up to be leaders in their respective fields.

Next there are clubs for those who like the math, science and anything that falls in between. Ossining High School has recently started its first math circle, which is part of a national organization. The club has community service attachments and members attend competitions to show off their math skills. There is also almost always food!

OHS has an engineering club, a moderately new organization that meets once a week until robotics season: a time when students spend hours attempting to build a robot that will complete a specific task. They have been to nationals for the last two consecutive years.

If you love to write and your English or creative writing course is not fulfilling enough, you’ve got options. For starters, you can always join our school’s newspaper, The Current (hopefully you know that by now), where you can write articles about news, opinions, entertainment, student life, sports, or whatever you can think of!

OHS also sponsors Interval, Ossining High School’s Literary Magazine. Students have the ability to submit poetry, prose, or whatever piece of writing that they feel expresses them well. With the addition of images at the end of the year, a final magazine is published.

OHS also supports the existence of Ossining High School’s Junior Statesmen of America (JSA) chapter. This chapter at OHS, which is part of a national organization, encourages political debate and participates in all sorts of activism, which reflects the dedication that each member (who is a stateswoman or man, not a politician) upholds. In addition to preparing for the three overnight conventions, the chapter takes the time to meet up with other chapters. Look out for one-day conventions and the flyers hung up around school that present this chapter’s debate topic, everyone’s welcome!

That concludes the synopsis of some of OHS’s biggest clubs, but feel free to speak to club advisers, club board members, and check out the entire listing of clubs on the OHS Website:

http://ohs.ossiningufsd.org/group_profile_view.aspx?id=b1d9ea50-72a7-4443-9a63-d58cd9a445be