Artist of the Month: Jen Meikle

Lior Raz- Farley, Entertainment Editor

This month we have Jen Meikle, a well-rounded artist who has received experience as a painter, drawer, and sculptor through the school and during her free time. Her artwork, as shown throughout the school, is respected by anyone who sees it. As a drawer, Meikle leans towards animals and naturalistic themes. She likes to paint with acrylics and watercolor, from which she sometimes derives inspiration from some of her favorite books. She is currently taking “Painting 1” and “Jewelry” classes. During an interview with Jen, she stated, “I wish that I had more time in my schedule Junior and Sophomore year to take more art classes.” Despite her tremendous experience as an artist she is enthusiastic to learn more and participate in classes. “I feel like I missed a lot of opportunities, so people should definitely take art classes for fun during high school, even if you don’t need the credit!” She was inspired by her grandparents, who were skilled artists. Alongside the support of her parents, who provided her with supplies and encouragement, Meikle found this hobby. 

Aside from art, Jen is a writer, focusing on realistic fiction and fantasy stories, with the occasional poem. As a young girl, she developed her writing skills by writing short stories until she became more committed. Her writing process involves discussing ideas and plots about her stories. “I’ll have a super long conversation with my friend, Mae, about a story or an idea I’m thinking about,” she said. “Talking out loud helps me work out the kinks and get another perspective on my stories.” Her currently developing story along-the-line depicts a girl with special powers which she uses to embarks on an epic hero’s quest to save her society from a looming evil. “I’d go on pinterest or look at photography online to get ideas,” she stated in response to moments of writer’s block or generally not knowing what to write. Her goal is to incorporate her writing skills to publish a book.

In the future she will continue writing, drawing, and painting as a hobby. Originally inspired by family and experience as a young girl, Jen Meikle developed into a dignified and skillful artist, who incorporates many aspects of her life to this hobby, including her school and friends. “My friends are all really supportive about my work and they’re always really encouraging,” she said. Furthermore, she is very grateful to be able to enjoy art at school, everyday, and, need-not-to-mention, for free. “I just want to say, there are many opportunities at OHS to improve in art and there are so many available things, clubs, and classes you can get involved in.” By taking advantage of the school’s resources, Meikle is able to create artwork daily in order to expand her ever-growing skill as a young artist.