The Fantastic Four: Not So Fantastic After All?

Caroline Borrego, Staff Writer

When going to see an adaptation of The Fantastic Four, you have to be a fan of the action or it’s unique comic elements. With respect to the action, let’s just say that you will be waiting throughout most of the movie until the last half an hour or so. However, those who loved knowing the whole backstory and watching the teleporter be built were probably comic fans. In simple words, the newest 2015 adaptation could have done much better.

Overall the dialogue was hardly impressive and the director’s portrayal of the story would make one think he didn’t know he had coming when he began working on the film. With negative reviews by numerous critics hopefully director of The Fantastic Four, Josh Trank’s career does not plummet. The movie begins with young Reed Richards in his school having to give a presentation to the class about his future aspirations. The teacher “rains on his parade” by telling the child, Reed, that being the first person to travel through time is an invalid career. Minutes later, another child, Ben, and Reed are shown working on his invention through which the two become friends. The movie then reveals the boys, as high schoolers, at the science fair where they are approached by Dr. Franklin Storm and his adopted daughter, Sue. They offer Reed a scholarship to their Baxter Institute, where they are working on a teleportation project similar to their own in order to save the dying Earth. Such an idea must be thrilling, right? Boring! Basically the movie consists of the dull work on the experiment during which Dr. Storm recruits with a former student Victor Von Doom and his son Johnny to work on the project. Spoiler alert! The plot truly begins when the kids are annoyed that they won’t be able to actually travel in the teleportation prototype but enter it anyway, resulting in what anyone would have predicted: They become the Fantastic Four. On a side note, the dimension they travel to doesn’t look unique, fantastic, nor in any way extraterrestrial, but rather looks like green lava is in the floor.

Aside from the dull and predictable storyline, the execution is poor despite the highly credited actors. Unfortunately, the acting appeared as if it each actor’s parts were filmed at separate times and electronically added together. (Editing must not have been very impressive considering the final cut appeared broken.) Hopefully if there is a sequel it will be given to another director, but the poor interpretation could have been attributed the work of many on the set.