The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

Was Obama Seen as a Weak Leader? (Bill O’Reilly Thinks He Was)

Was Obama Seen as a Weak Leader? (Bill OReilly Thinks He Was)

Bill O’Reilly is a Fox News anchor and headliner of The O’Reilly Factor, which is criticized for its less than liberal views on the political problems our country faces. Syria has been a prominent topic of discussion in the past few months. After it was found that towns were being gassed with poisonous chemicals, people questioned as to how dangerous it was for Syria to have these weapons and whether or not the United States should intervene. President Obama made a speech to America in September. One of the key points was that innocent lives were being taken, making it immoral to turn a blind eye on the Middle East. Also, Obama said that ignoring this situation now could lead to many more problems in the future, not only for the Middle East but for America as well. The majority of the country felt that intervening would be wrong, considering that doing so could potentially, in a worst case scenario, lead to a third World War.

It was surprising that O’Reilly, who is known for opposing Obama’s views, agreed that America shouldn’t “look the other way.” O’Reilly argued that innocent women and children were killed during these gassings. He claimed that while involvement in Syria may bring trouble to this side of the globe, it would be wrong to ignore the lives being taken in the Middle East. He has also said, however, that Obama’s lack of action following the gassing in Syria made him look weak to the world. President Obama made a threat and did not follow through, allowing Bill O’Reilly to jump all over him. “President Obama looks weak to the world. I think that’s a fact,” is what Bill O’Reilly had to say about President Obama on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Currently, there are no American boots on the ground in Syria due to the fact that many individuals oppose confrontation. The Syrians, Russians and Americans are attempting to diffuse this situation in the most peaceful way possible. Bill O’Reilly is relieved with the concessions being made. However, the road to resolution has left Obama looking weak, weaker than a president should look.