Concerning Recent Clown Sightings

Fanny Zhang, Staff Writer

The people with a face full of make up, a big red nose, a wig, and big, baggy, colorful clothing are familiar to all of us. They are known as clowns. Most of the population has seen or interacted with clowns sometime throughout their childhood and even adulthood. They are the symbol of happiness and laughs, and were introduced to most of us when we were kids in the form of entertainment. However, now they are the center of a new controversy where some are perceived as dangerous. But why clowns? Turns out that clowns aren’t even favored by the little ones or even the older ones. A study at the University of Sheffield showed that more that 250 kids ranging in age from four to sixteen were uncomfortable and felt disturbed by clown imagery. Concluding that while clowns were popular in one’s childhood, they were not necessarily liked. When looked at the psychology behind coulrophobia (the fear of clowns), psychologists found that it was actually a common phobia. Psychologist Rami Nader discovered that this fear of clowns originates from the makeup and wardrobe that seems to hide who the real person behind is. It’s that fact that you don’t know who and what he or she feels gives concern. While they act happy and joyful, the people seem to distrust that, which leaves space for fear of who the realistic person is.

This issue took inspiration from a couple’s legal photoshoot project on clowns that went viral. Then started the clown sightings, originating in South Carolina where there were reports of clowns trying to lure kids and women into the woods. To take it further, pranksters decided to spread these clown sightings around the globe. Born in South Carolina, traveling by nation to nation with reports of sightings in more than 2 dozen states. This phenomenon has also spilled to other countries such as England, Canada, and Australia. It has also been spreading on social media with accounts with videos such as @clownsightingz on Instagram, with more on various social media. This might be mostly a joke to the ones portraying the clowns, but there were arrests and charges applied to those not so lucky to be able to run and escape from authorities. Some school districts in Connecticut have even banned clown costumes and “any symbols of terror”. Serious situations have surfaced as well. Students at Pennsylvania State university conducted a mass clown hunt surrounding the campus streets. Massachusetts College entered a lock down based on an armed clown hoax. And the issue was asked about to White House Press secretary Josh Earnest. He responded with “I don’t know that the president has been briefed on this particular situation”.

This particular situation has not been affecting only the civilians but the professional clown community. Some professional clowns are being harassed with threats and some even fear for their lives. Afraid that someone could possibly hurt them such as one would do in a clown hunt or even as self defense. Their jobs become harder where they could be mistaken for a dangerous clown and the opportunity for hiring could possibly go down as well. Jordan Jones is a professional clown that started the “Clown Lives Matter”  movement on his Facebook page trying to bring people to reality. His goal is to show people the truth of how professional clowns differ from the teens making ignorant choices.

A recent event correlating with the clown controversy was reported in Ossining NY. According to the Ossining Police Department’s Facebook page, on late night October 5th, they received reports of a motorist riding around Main Street wearing a clown mask. Because of all off the disputable events surrounding the creepy clowns, they went to check things out. Officer Lantz and Officer Cosme found the vehicle. The young man was unarmed but did have a police radio. What he was doing wasn’t necessarily illegal but to be in possession of a police radio was indeed illegal.  

Overall, this clown controversy has stuck fear in a lot of people. With just a click onto social media you can have access to videos, pictures, and additional information. People dressed as clowns have recently been wandering the streets harassing people and in some cases, people were in fact attacked. With the situation going on, there was research that was dug up and done that proves clowns are actually not attracting the kids, but scaring them.