The student news site of Ossining High School

The Current

Attraction-Driven Success

Daily News

Daily News

Sri Polkampally, Opinions Editor

Do good looking men and women have more success than those who are not good looking?

This has been the question asked by many economists and researchers over these past few decades. It is within human nature to be more compelled to the more attractive image. But can attraction expedite talent?

Not all employers are shallow enough to hire an employee based on their appearance. However, it’s no secret that we live in a culture heavily built upon the image we portray to others. In fact, economists have long recognized what’s been named the ‘beauty premium’—the idea that good looking people, regardless of aspirations or talent, generally do better in every field. Handsome men are predicted to earn 5 percent more than their less attractive counterparts and good-looking women earn 4 percent more. “Over his career, a good-looking man will make some $250,000 more than his least-attractive counterpart, according to economist Daniel Hamermesh; 13 percent of women, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (and 10 percent of men, according to a new NEWSWEEK survey), say they would consider cosmetic surgery if it made them more competitive at work. Both points are disturbing, certainly” (1).

Good looking people have more attention and opportunities from teachers, mentors, employers; even children, who are generally unaware of the advantage of beauty, stare longer at prettier people (and we stare longer at good-looking babies). It can also be said that relationships are more about money and appearances rather than love and happiness.

In addition to the unfortunate attachment society has to one’s outside appearance, the definition of beauty seems to be changing continuously; in fact, the beauty ideal, especially for women, is more dangerous and unhealthy than ever. Decades ago, the ideal body for a woman was represented by Marilyn Monroe, where she was idolized more for her body and appearance than her talent as an actress. Today, the ideal standard for a woman can be represented by a Victoria’s Secret Model, where glowing looks, long legs, and skinny waists define everything. In addition to the sick objectification of women where their appearance, particularly their body, matters more than their talent and emotional worth, the idealization of images places women is vulnerable self-harming and self-hating position.

However, given the amount of people on the market for a job, good looks are becoming more and more critical. From hiring to positions in politics to promotions, looking good is no longer something we can dismiss. It is now time to fight against the beauty standards set in our society and shine talent and work ethic to truly make a positive change in this world.

Reference: Bennett, Jessica. “How Looks Affect Your Work, Your Career, Your Life.” Newsweek, 29 July 2011, www.newsweek.com/beauty-advantage-how-looks-affect-your-work-your-career-your-life-74313