Artist of the Month: Marlond Criollo

Benny Liu, Student Life Editor

Marlond Criollo, a senior who exhibits extraordinary talent in music, is The Artist of the Month for December. Besides being on top of his class academically, Marlond has always found a way to incorporate his passion for music. Marlond has been part of band his whole school career and is an exemplary tuba player. Outside of school, Marlond has learned to play many instruments ranging from the bass and ukulele and is currently learning how to play both the piano and guitar. With his musical upbringing, Marlond has a wide varity of music which he says “is an outlet for expression in a way regular words cannot”. Below is an interview with Marlond Criollo.

BL: When did you first get into music?
MC: When I was younger my dad used to be apart of a band, I remember being around 6 and sitting in on their practices listening to them play Spanish rock.

BL: What instruments do you play?
MC: I have played bass for 4 years tuba for around 6 years. I also been playing ukulele for 4 years and I am learning how to play guitar and piano.

BL: What type of music do you listen to?
MC: I listen to all kinds of music from pop and rap music to Spanish rock and jazz.

BL: Besides school band, what are other music activities that you do?
MC: Outside of the school band and the high school jazz band I also get a group of friends together and we try to learn jazz together I play bass.

BL: Do you plan to pursue music as a profession?
MC: As of now I don’t believe I will pursue music as a profession but I am definitely going to continue playing and learning new instruments well into college and my adulthood.

BL: Why are you so passionate about music?
MC: When you start to learn a new song and eventually are able to play it from memory gives such a unique sense of gratification, that I can’t see myself living without. Music is an outlet for expression in a way regular words cannot.