October Athlete of the Month: Lucy Roach

Cameron Takmil, Sports Editor

The October athlete of the month is Lucy Roach, a sophomore player on the OHS tennis team. In a year laden with obstacles, many underclassmen are having the beginnings of their varsity careers defined by this bizarre season. With the season well underway for Ossining athletes, the implications of the COVID-19 pandemic are already impacting the season. Soccer and field hockey are the only sports that have been playing consistent games. Girls’ tennis has not been as fortunate, and their schedules are shifting by the day to create an optimal environment for players and a safe environment for everyone involved. 

When asked about her mindset and the mindset of her teammates, Lucy responded, “We all went into this season already satisfied and grateful for the opportunity to just be back on the courts. I think all of us were pumped to be with the team and have somewhat of normality. After ending as undefeated league champs last season, we strive to keep that title going for many more, despite the [COVID-19] pandemic. Lots of players of all different levels have been practicing like crazy, and I think we have a great shot at winning once again this year.” 

When asked about safety, Lucy said that she feels very safe and supports the cautions taken in order to ensure safety, such as reducing contact with other players, social distancing, and placing priority on sanitizing. When asked about the goals she has set for herself, and the team as a whole, it is clear that Lucy has set a high standard. Lucy wants to repeat as the one of the best doubles players in the league and have the team be the league champion in back-to-back years. 

On the topic of goals, Lucy  responded, “…Of course, continuing to claim league champions is our main goal. We want to end undefeated again and improve our playing game. This year will be much harder with better competition, and Coach [Burke] has warned me that it isn’t going to be as easy as being undefeated in doubles like last year. I hope to captain my hometown next year and continue to hold my spot as first singles. I want the team to be dedicated and learn something new everyday. This sport is awesome, and it’s amazing to be able to share my experience with these girls.” 

Everyone starts somewhere, and for Lucy it was tennis lessons at Club Fit, as she explained, “My love for this sport came around when I was about 7 years old, and at that time playing at Club Fit’s summer camp was just something to do. I had been struggling and getting beat all the time, I just couldn’t get it down right. Eventually, I became even more passionate about it and started taking lessons there… That program has gotten me through 10 years of hard work, I would not be who I am today without them… Once ninth grade hit, I was enrolled in the varsity team and claimed my spot as first doubles with my peer Sarah Jennings. We were undefeated the whole season and that’s when I knew these girls were my people. Now, a year later I’m enjoying my last year with the amazing seniors, and still striving for the best to show Ossining Pride!”

In this tumultuous season, Lucy Roach and her teammates look to claim another league championship. As for herself, Lucy will strive to go undefeated once again in girls’ doubles and become versatile and well-rounded in singles. While the status of games this season is still up in the air, there is no doubt that this team will pick up where they left off last season once games start.