A Look Inside the OHS Barnes Library

Darwin Arias, Features Editor

We walk into the library during our offs to hangout with friends, do our homework a period before its due, and attend the numerous events that take place in our own high school information center. Yet, we overlook the remaining wide range of resources offered by our own high school library.
The OHS library is a dynamic learning, social, and collaborative space. The OHS library has a platform committed to equitable education for all of its students. Its resources are open for any student to use, creating a collaborative and inclusive environment. Our OHS Barnes Library assists in preparing OHS students to locate, access, evaluate, and utilize information in a variety of formats in order to help them become more independent and information-literate citizens in the years following graduation.

The following are specific features of the OHS Barnes Library.

Makerspace

The makerspace, a room to the far right as you enter the library, is a place for invention. The makerspace is available for any student or teacher who is interested in making or designing something. It provides an environment for students to explore new ideas and work on project plans. The makerspace is stocked with materials for arts and crafts, including legos and robotics supplies. There are several tech projects that take place here. Activities include building Lego Mindstorms robots, coding, knitting, and making jewelry.

Academic Resources

Very few students are informed of the availability of academic resources offered by the Barnes Library. The OHS library has subscription-based databases that provide reliable sources for research purposes. These databases offer a wide range of information from encyclopedias to college level resources. For access to any of these resources check out the library google site: @sites.google.com/a/ossiningufsd.org/ohs-digital-library/homepage

Hosting of Events

A plethora of student-led events take place in the center of the library. Its small stage hosts student performances, such as the singing performances put on by Gimme The Mic’ students, and performances put on by our cultural clubs, such as the Think Big (Hispanic) club. ASL students host special events that involve signing along to songs or engaging in stories. The Library also hosts occasional Board meetings and meetings for several student clubs, such as the knitting club. The Library hosts its personally led club, The Body & Soul book club, which organizes literary- circles on a regular basis. In this event, students read, gather and talk about books. They also have a literary-circles folder that consists of recommendations of books and genres they like to read. Anyone can add their recommendation in this folder. Contact Ms. Narsipur if you are interested.

An Inclusive Environment

Coming from a senior, it is fair to say that the library has created an inviting setting for all students. Its large space allows students to hang out with their friends at one of the tables and work on their assignments. The second floor is dedicated to giving students a tranquil backdrop as they focus on completing their homework — very much necessary for an academic institution. Computers are spaced throughout the library, allowing students to work on their online deadlines with accessible printing.

And most importantly, BOOKS!

The library has about 15,000 books, including e-books, periodicals and non-print materials in its collection. Students are encouraged to borrow books for a two-week time period. Several test review books, including regents and advanced placement test review books, are easily accessible to all OHS students.

For more information students may make an appointment with Ms. Narsipur to get an overview of these valuable library services.