Science Research STS Submissions

Science Research STS Submissions

Dylan Spedaliere, Student Life Editor

The Regeneron Science Talent Search (Regeneron STS), a program of Society for Science & the Public, recognizes and empowers our nation’s most promising young scientists who are creating the ideas that could potentially solve today’s most urgent challenges.

Each year, approximately 1,800 students nationally, apply to Regeneron STS, submitting original research in critically important scientific fields of study. Unique among high school competitions in the U.S. and globally, Regeneron STS focuses on identifying, inspiring, and engaging the nation’s most promising young scientists by not only looking at their research but the student as a whole.

Three hundred scholars are selected based on their exceptional research skills, commitment to academics, innovative thinking, and promise as a scientist. Each scholar along with their school receives $2,000. From the previously selected three hundred, 40 finalists are then selected to travel to Washington, D.C. in March for final judging, display their work to the public, meet with notable scientists, the President, and compete for $1.8 million in awards. The finalists are each awarded at least $25,000, and those who place top 10, receive awards that range from $40,000 to $250,000.

In 2017, Regeneron became only the third sponsor of the Science Talent Search, increasing the overall awards distribution to better reward the best and brightest young minds. Through its 10-year, $100 million commitment, Regeneron nearly doubled the overall award distribution to $3.1 million annually, increasing the top award to $250,000 and doubling the awards for the top 300 scholars and their schools to $2,000 each to inspire more young people to engage in science. The most notable and recent STS finalist had been Skyler Jones ‘18. Skyler received eighth place in the nation for her work and continued on to study at MIT.

This year, students in Ossining High School’s Science Research program applied to this prestigious competition, with a ground-breaking record of 34 submissions. On average each application is sixty pages and students put everything they have into their applications.