Ossining High Wins the Silver Award for Schools of Opportunity

Diana Kennedy, Student Life Editor

Ossining is often well known for it’s praised science research program, outstanding girl’s basketball team, and for its amazing cultural arts programs, however above all, Ossining is a place where the academic playing field has been made level.

On September 12, Ossining High school was given the prestigious the national Silver School Award for schools of opportunity. This awarded to only 20 schools from across the country this year. Schools given this award are successful in closing gap between advantaged and disadvantaged students. In a school where nearly half the student body is financially disadvantaged, Ossining High school is commended for having above average programs for ESL students and students with special needs.

Ossining, among several other schools was recognized by the National Education Policy Center at the University of Colorado Boulder for providing equal opportunity for students of different financial backgrounds. OHS was among over 100 schools who applied for this coveted award. Besides academic achievement this award is also awarded for a supportive teaching staff, and for maintaining a wholesome environment for students to develop in.

The previous year Harrison, Sleepy Hollow, and Fox Lane were given this award