The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

TEN TIPS for Freshmen: A Junior’s Advice for Newbies

© Royalty-Free/CORBIS

#1. This isn’t AMD

Your backpacks are allowed in class.  You can check your phone when you’re at lunch. You can make actual decisions and you can wear hats, it’s phenomenal.

#2. Try to budget your time and decisions

Test out all the clubs and/or sports that you’re interested in. You can quit after the first meeting or two if you lose interest. Just try and budget your time so you still have a chance to relax! Also, don’t just follow friends. They may like something you hate, so don’t feel pressured to join activities because your friends are. Extracurriculars give you the chance to do what you want, and maybe make new friends while you’re at it.

# 3. Where to spend your off period

Sometimes even the upperclassmen don’t know where to spend their free period(s). These are a few places you can go to spend your period off.

-The Cafeteria: Keep on the look-out for open seats, some periods are packed. You’ll probably see some seniors blasting rap music too—just a warning.

-The Library: This is a great place to do work, but not one where you can eat.

– The Garden: The garden is a great place for those who like to eat or work outdoors. The entrance is beside the gate.

If all hope is lost, and you need to get an essay done, go to the department offices. There you will find computers, and if you know a teacher and ask for their help, they will point you in the right direction.

#4. There is no connection between the two sides of the third floor.

You have to go downstairs, walk through the connector hallway with all the windows, and then go back upstairs. All of the room numbers that have a second digit higher than 2 (i.e. 324) are in the new wing, which has tan cinderblocks on the wall. Rooms that have a second digit in or lower than 1 (i.e. 302) are in the old wing, which has wood and dark walls. Remember that any questions you need to ask will be answered by teachers, other students, anybody.

#5. Remember to focus on schoolwork.

All the extracurricular stuff can clog up your life if you let it. Remember you’re going to school for a reason.

#6. This goes by fast.

It feels like yesterday I was walking into freshman orientation. Now, I’m more than halfway done with my High School career. You may not be able to take all of the classes you’d like, but always have the next tip in the back of your mind.

#7. Accept the mistakes you make

In class, you won’t always be perfect and you won’t always do well. Don’t let failure get you down. Take it in and learn from your mistakes. This is the time to make those mistakes; the pressures of adulthood aren’t on the line.

#8. Every class, teacher, and experience is different.

You’ll never be able to plan out your year before you have had your first class in OHS. Its like life, you can never know exactly what will happen until it starts, so be ready for some unexpected things.

#9. You get caught if you break the rules.

Cutting class, walking in the hallways while class is in session, going off campus when you’re a freshman: all of these rules, believe it or not, are enforced. You never know when someone will catch you, so don’t try. You don’t want to be the freshman that gets suspended on the first day for getting pizza at Lucy’s.

#10. Don’t focus on all the drama, fights, and stress. Just have fun!

Remember to focus on yourself, and do everything that’s best for you. If you try to get into fights, Twitter drama, and things like that, it just ends up being bad for you. You only have this experience once, so make it fun and positive.