The Current

To Pee or Not to Pee

Somari Davis, Opinions Editor

Over the past decade, the transgender movement has become far less taboo and has gained significantly more exposure in mainstream culture. The world is slowly but surely adapting to this scientific, social, and emotional breakthrough. Society has gone as far as creating clubs within schools like the LGBT in order to make transgender students feel more comfortable and accepted.  One of the largest headlines on transgenders recently is former Olympian Bruce Jenner’s sex change, shocking some of his audience, but overall was met with great acceptance.  While all of this positive energy is circulating in the media, beneath all of this is a rather large and heated debate. We as a global society have progressed and adapted to meet the needs of people who choose to change their sex we have yet to make a decision on which bathroom they should use. Society is torn between having a specific bathroom for transgenders or having them use the same bathrooms as everyone else. The fact of the matter is we need to accept people for who they are; you are who you are. If you are a woman, than you’re a woman. If you’re a man, than you’re a man. If you changed your gender to become either male or female you should use your current gender’s bathroom.

Yet here is where the controversy lies.

There are the opinions of the other people using the bathroom and their comfort levels as well as the people who choose to become aggressive on the matter to consider. Society frowns upon anyone remotely different from the normal or general crowd. When there are not any steps being taken to stop this difference in the sea of normality and traditional values, people feel it is their right to take matters into their own hands. Which in most cases is not the best idea. So when this topic of giving transgenders the opportunity to be themselves and use the bathroom like everybody else is brought up, they are met with a controversy. If a woman is allowed to use the men’s restroom in dire emergency why shouldn’t transgenders be able to use the bathroom of their gender preference? To pee or not to pee, why is this even a question?