Justice Brett Kavanaugh: In or Out?

Keyla Cabrera, Staff Writer

Controversy emerged as the infamous judge, Brett Kavanaugh, was nominated for The United States Federal Supreme Court on July 8th by President Donald Trump. With alleged cases of sexual assault, this nomination resulted in a massive outbreak among the supporters of the #MeToo movement.

In planning to replace the retiring justice Anthony Kennedy, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, a professor of Psychology, brought to light an event that intervened with Kavanaugh’s inauguration. Ford contacted the Washington Post with allegations of Kavanaugh had sexually assaulted her while they were in high school over 30 years ago. After her allegation, two other women came forward and accused Kavanaugh as well. These allegations would lead to a supplemental Senate Judiciary Committee hearing along with an FBI investigation on the matter.

At first, it seemed that these women’s testimonies would have been enough to prevent Kavanaugh from becoming a justice on the Supreme Court. Instead, on October 6th Kavanagh was confirmed, with a surprising, yet disappointing vote of 50-48. He was sworn in on the same day and faith in the system was, once again, lost.

For a moment, it was assumed that the committee would have the common sense to avoid a man that had allegations tied to his name before joining the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh had the reputation of a sexual assailant, and if the allegations weren’t true that will follow him. As of now, he is a part of the most powerful court in this nation.

In Kavanaugh’s hearing, Ford testified against him and vividly described the event of how she feared for her life, how she felt powerless, how he covered her mouth to make sure no one heard her.

Kavanaugh simply denied all the allegations and blamed this as a political hit from the Democrats, and President Trump supported this statement.The president bashed Ford when he jokingly stated that he doesn’t remember what he does when he’s drunk. Trump also tweeted that if these allegations were true, why didn’t Ford come forward earlier.

There was an investigation into the allegations as well. However, the Senate provided the “scope” for the investigation making it invalid in people’s eyes.

The justice system made it challenging for women to come forward for many years, and various cases had the victim’s attacker go free with little to no repercussions. Women are shamed for ruining a man’s future. They are blamed for the crime, told that they should’ve been more careful, that they were practically “asking for it”, that they are coming forward for fame. For some reason, there is more sympathy for the person accused than the actual victim. With Kavanaugh now confirmed to the court, it may feel to some people as if the story had come to a tragic end, but that is not the case. Countless women are still assaulted and this nation needs to be stronger for other victims.