The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

Ossining UFSD Transportation

Many students of Ossining High School use buses to get to and from school each day–a new strain to the district budget. Board members and district administrators agree that the planned district budget for the 2013-2014 school year could require cuts to one or more programs. By reducing the amount of buses the district supplies, the schools could save money. But also it could potentially create problems for the students and parents, as voters voiced at a recent vote.

On April 16, the ballots opened to determine the possibility of cutting transportation in the 2013-2014 district budget. The cut would have affected 454 students in grades 6-12, but brought the district closer to closing an antipicated $3 million budget gap that was announced in January. Officials hosted public seminars and forums to inform the residents of Ossining about potential cuts and to receive feedback from the people themselves. The referendum, if approved, would have saved $413,262.

Nonetheless, hundreds of children would be affected. According to The Journal News, “The proposed changes include increasing the transportation limits for grades 6-8 from 1 mile to 1.5 miles and for grades 9-12 from 1.5 miles to 2 miles.” Students who live at or below those limits would have had to find their own way to get to school.

Despite its rejection, alternative budget cuts are available. “If the savings are not realized through the busing proposal, the district would have to look to other programs,” Superintendent Ray Sanchez said. Some of the programs that were considered include summer school, modified sports, ice hockey, staff, pre-kindergarten programs and elective courses at the high school. Ossining’s superintendent stated, “Our intent is to preserve the programs we have, but it’s likely that those will need to change in some ways in order to maintain them.” “The reality is, we recognize it’s going to have an impact,” remarked Sanchez. In the future forums held, the public will be open to ask questions following the presentations and to discuss the different alternatives to transportation and program cuts.

As shown by the vote, many parents and guardians were not content about losing district busing. Election results reported by the district reflect that those against cutting transportation numbered 688, as opposed to 599 in favor of cuts–a decisive victory for those against them. Now, the district and public have to face the choice of cutting school programs.