Artist Of The Month: Alex Flores

Elliott Reichman, Managing Editor

This month, The Current is featuring Alex Flores, a member of the band and Drama Club. Alex started out in orchestra in 5th grade, where he developed a passion for the percussion section. As he moved into middle school, Alex explored this passion in band, where he currently resides, playing the snare bass as well as timpani. Alex is also a proud member of the Drama Club, where he has stepped out of his shell and has blossomed into a wonderful actor. Alex has been in Loserville, In The Heights, Rowing To America, and will be appearing in the upcoming school production Sister Act as Curtis. Alex also was crew for Othello and Love Of Three Oranges. Alex showcases his artistic ability with the school concerts and productions. The Current sat down with Alex to ask him a few questions.

TC: How did you get involved with band?

AF: Prior to 6th grade I was in Orchestra and there was a percussion section and I said to myself, “Wow, I really want to do that.” So I started playing the drums and have been playing since 6th grade.

TC: Do you wish to continue band through college and perhaps as a career?

AF: In terms of a career choice I don’t think it would fit because I’m more interested in journalism, but I could definitely see myself pursuing band as a pastime.

TC: Another art you are involved with is the Drama Club, could you tell me a little bit about what the drama club means to you?

AF: Well, it’s funny because freshman year I would’ve never pictured myself doing drama club. Sophomore year I saw that all my friends were in it so I said to myself, “Ya know, this might be something I’m good at, I gotta give it a shot,” so I auditioned. I did not get into my first play, but once I got into the musical (Loserville) I kinda felt like drama club is more of a family than anything else. You really feel welcomed the minute you get picked for cast, or even for crew, you feel very welcomed and you definitely get the sense that you’re a part of a family who want to be your friend.

TC: What impact does the drama club have on the school community?

AF: I feel like that since Ossining High School is world renowned now, it’s something that’s cool to be known for. We’ve always been known as a big science school but it’s also cool to be known as a big drama school, and it’s great that the students get involved as much as they do.

TC: How do you view yourself as a performer?

AF: In the beginning I was quiet, now I think that it’s a place for me to get out of my shell a little bit. I’m not really known as a talkative person, but drama club allows me to express myself and, specifically with my upcoming role as Curtis, I can sort of put myself into the character and make my own Curtis if you will.

TC: What advice would you give to people in crew or not in drama club, who want to go that next step to audition for cast?

AF: I would say that you have to keep trying. When I auditioned for Loserville it was the first time I sang in front of anybody. I was nervous but I got through it and I got a part. With singing people think you have to have a beautiful voice but you really just have to express yourself well. The singing, the dancing, the acting all has to come naturally.