Life on the Varsity Tennis Team

Taylor Calman, Staff Writer

Interviewer: Taylor Calman

Interviewee: Abigail Mestrich

How long have you been playing tennis for?

“I have been playing tennis since I was around 6 at clinics, and then I guess I just kept playing because I liked it. I used to play sports like soccer and stuff but I didn’t like them and I preferred tennis.”

What has your experience been playing on Varsity tennis?

“It’s been fun. It’s a whole team effort and we all have a really good time. We practice together and it’s very fun when you bring a whole group together! The last two years have been really fun and inclusive and even my first year when I was just the only freshman on the team, I still felt very much included. My sophomore year was also really fun and I felt like I formed some really close bonds with the girls on the team.”

How does it feel to be captain and first singles?

“Being captain is fun! It’s kind of a lot of work setting up the Reminds, ordering the sweatpants for everyone and figuring out a design that everyone will love. First singles is great too, having played second singles my sophomore and freshman year and watching Grace, who is an amazing player, playing and winning her games, it is a dream come true to now take over and carry on her legacy. I’m having a really good time and it’s very invigorating playing these games, although they are tougher and the opponents are harder to beat.”

What is the most memorable match you’ve played?

“My most memorable match is when I played against this one girl. She was very tough, I think she was a first singles player and I was second singles so it was very hard  because I had never played first singles before. So I played her.. and we played really well… and it was a tough match and she did some really nice shots but I eventually ended up winning!  I felt so proud and happy in that moment and it showed that I did have the potential to take over as first singles at some point. And this was my freshman year when I had never played a first singles match. It was the end and I was like wow, this was so good and so hard but I guess I really enjoyed the challenge!”

Do you see yourself playing tennis after high school?

“I could see myself playing tennis after High School. I don’t know if I’ll play in college, as in the college team, but I would totally play leagues if I can and exhibition matches and all that because tennis is something that I really like a lot and is sort of one of those sports that you can either play alone against an opponent or with a teammate. You get a chance to work together and can build up your yourself to become better, which is an aspect I really enjoy about the sport.”

How did it feel to win league champs last year?

“Wow, it was awesome! No one in our school had ever won league championship for girls tennis in our school so we made history for Ossining High School ! When we found out we won we all shared a great moment together, we all got super excited, and began to sing a little of ‘We are the Champions’ by Queen on our bus ride home. Even coach Burke chimed in, it was so much fun!”