Artist of the Month: Lucas Slavin

Diana Kennedy, Managing Editor

The September title for Artist of the Month goes to Lucas Slavin, a student who exhibits versatile musical talents. Besides being the leader in the school marching band, Lucas is involved in prestigious musical institutions outside of school. While he is well versed in woodwind and brass instruments, Lucas also shows off his vocal talents in Gimme the Mic. This hasn’t been the first time that Lucas has been interviewed by The Current; last year he was asked about his involvement in the All-State Symphonic band. In order to learn more about the depth of his musical involvement, I sat down with him for an interview.

TC: When did you first get into music?

LS:  I got into music from a really early age. My dad would take me to Sunday school and the rabbi at the temple would teach us the prayers through songs, and as a toddler I loved it. That stayed with me for my whole life.

TC: What instruments do you play?

LS: I’m a classically trained clarinet player, but I play saxophone as well. I sing and play a little piano as well.

TC: What type of music do you listen to?

LS: I listen to all kinds of music, from the jazz and classical music that I play everyday to pop and rock. I like some country music too, I’m not gonna front.

TC: Besides school band, what other musical organizations are you a part of?

LS: In addition to band and jazz band here at school, I’m the assistant principal clarinetist in the philharmonic orchestra at the Manhattan school of music pre-college program. I’m a substitute member of the Westchester Symphonic Winds and the Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra, two local adult ensembles.

TC: Do you plan to pursue music as a profession?

LS: I can’t see myself doing anything but music for my career, it’s been such a constant part of my life up until this point. I plan to do a dual major in music performance and music education in college.

TC: Why are you so passionate about music?

LS: There’s a unique satisfaction that I get from getting up on stage and sharing music with an audience. Being able to share my thoughts and emotions through my instrument to a sea of people is something I could never live without.