The Current

The Eulogy of the English Language

Somari Davis, Opinion's Editor

TBH (to be honest) the English language especially amongst Americans has taken a steep decline in grammar usage and extensive vocabulary terms. Terms such as TBH, LOL (laugh out loud), TFI (thanks for the invite), OMG (oh my goodness/God) and, IRL (in real life) are used to express ideas and feelings instead of groups of words to create thoughts. These abbreviations and slang have even gone as far as devaluing emotional phrases such as, I love you, which is now ILY. These abbreviations seem to give off the idea that writing out full ideas and thoughts is too much effort. This brings about the question, is the english language dying? Does the lack effort to juxtapose words into sentences signify the end of literature, and written communication and thought? Will English only exist through speech?

Recently, based off personal observation, students tend to stumble over words when writing and speaking, and resort to their phones or the internet to search up words for their own understanding. In classes there are even rewards for using “big” words; such as pizza parties or extra credit. Simple words are even being questioned by high school students; the effort it takes to think about the word’s definition has been verbalized into, “I’ve seen that word before, I just didn’t know what it meant.” As if the slightest thought of looking up the word in a dictionary was too much work, the student bypassed it and proceeded to read, basing the definition off of context clues; essentially a reading skill designed for third graders when beginning to read chapter books. Which brings about the subject of the decline in literacy standards. According to the Literacy Project Foundation’s website, “50% of adults [within the U.S.] cannot read a book written at [what is considered] an eighth grade reading level.” At the rate the usage of slang and acronyms increase it can be inferred that the number of those who are unable to read at a considerably high level are doomed to increase.

Sure these are flighty accusations as to the direction the English language might take, but it is comprehensive to believe that the vocabulary of the average American is increasing at a steady rate but, the usage of that vocabulary is at a deficit regarding conversational use. I even find myself wanting to say, “Lol.” when I find something humorous because I’ve typed that acronym numerous times when I would or could actually laugh out loud. In classroom settings it is not inherently encouraged to expand one’s use of vocabulary once an individual reaches high school, but the fault cannot lie primarily there. It is highly probable that the decline is a collective effort.

Is it that we as a country of individuals have collectively become lazy when regarding literacy? Or is it that convenience comes before intelligence? The English language does not seem to be ending right now but, it sure seems on its way to kick the bucket. RIP English Language.