Artist of the Month: Jennifer Sanchez

Lior Raz-Farley, Editor In-Chief

This month, September, The Current is featuring Jennifer Sanchez. She is a well-rounded artist, with skills ranging from playing instruments to drawing. She began singing when she was eight years old and has transitioned into a performer. She predominantly showcases her artistry through her school performances such as the Gimme the Mic concerts at Ossining High School, after which audiences are enchanted by her singing talents. Since she was nine, Jennifer has also been playing a multitude of instruments: guitar, piano, violin, clarinet and cello. She is most committed to the violin and piano, which she often plays to accompany her singing. Her proficiency in drawing is also evident in her experience using professional drawing tools since she was nine years old, which she continues to use daily. The Current sat down with Sanchez to ask her a few questions:

TC: When did you discover your love for music and art?

JS: I don’t think there was ever a specific moment where I knew I had a passion for music or art; it was always there. But over time, my love for them grew. It started out as something I only did on my free time, but now it’s helping me run my own small business at 16, communicate more efficiently with others, and build a friend group I would not have had otherwise.

TC: What inspires you to sing/play/draw?

JS: I’m honestly a fairly shy person, so music and art help me express myself in a way I just can’t do verbally. It’s an outlet for my emotions, thoughts, and feelings. Another inspiration is my mom. Every painting we have hung in our house, she made herself. So art has always been present in my life and with time I embraced it.

TC: What is your favorite painting? What is your favorite song to sing?

JS: My favorite painting is called “Released” [featured image]. I have a good friend that I’ve known since I was little, and he struggled so much with self harm and depression. When he hurt himself, he described it as liberating and gave him freedom. I drew ribbons instead of blood because ribbons are celebratory. He has overcome his illness and is a freshman in college going for a fine arts degree. My favorite song to sing is “Sad Song” by Christina Perri. I think they both represent that growing up, being well, and discovering yourself as a person takes time. In other words, “growing up goes slow.”

TC: What was your proudest accomplishment?

JS: My proudest accomplishment would definitely be when I spoke to a older woman after a concert and she was crying. She was so moved by my singing that it made her think of her husband who she had been married to for 42 years. In that moment I realized that even if only one person and I made a connection, that one person was enough motivation for me to keep doing what I love.

TC: Do you see yourself seeking a career in any of these hobbies?

JS: I have always thought about pursuing a career as a musician, but it’s a really competitive world out there.  As for art, I’m happy with being a commissioned artist and I don’t think for now I’ll take it any further. Helping people in any way I could is what I’ve always wanted to do, so I’d like to pursue a career as a psychiatrist, mainly working with teens.