The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

A New Club in Town: The Story of The Teenage Republicans Club

There’s a new club in town!

On December 11th, 2013, a new club was initiated. The Teenage Republicans Club attracted 25 students to its first meeting. The Current got to sit down with Aaron Spring, the chairman and founder of the Teenage Republicans Club to find out what it’s all about.

The Current: Aaron, why did you start the club?

Aaron Spring: Great question. The Republicans have a terrible image in New York. The liberal media has portrayed us in such a negative way, so I wanted to give off a positive image. So few of us actually believe what the liberal media thinks we believe.

TC: Do you think that the founding of the Teenage Republican’s Club will influence the creation of clubs that support other political parties?

AS: Well, I feel that if they do, they’ll need the auditorium because there will be so many of them, but I do not think that a major political party will form a club in New York, since Democrats make up about 65% of the state. I think that since we are a minority in this state and in this district, we have the ability to make this club while the Democrats would be a bit unorganized due to their large numbers.

TC: So walk us through the process of how you formed the club.

AS: Well, the idea came to my head that we need to start portraying a better image of the Teenage Republicans Club so I looked online to find it and the Teenage Republicans are ages 18-40, which isn’t young. Then, I emailed the headquarters of the Teenagers Republicans Club in Virginia. They sent me packets and materials to start the club and they officially recognized it. I got a lot of support from Virginia, a lot of support from the school, and a lot of support from the administration. It was a long process, but overall it was worth it.

The Teenage Republicans club will focus less on government philosophy and more on individual rights, state’s rights, and fiscal issues. There will be guest speakers such as Peter Tripodi, a former member of the Bush administration, and other local Republican leaders. Once organized and consistent, they will attend rallies and other events. For the good of their party and representing what they believe in, the Teenage Republicans Club will stay together and strong. For all who are interested, you can contact Mr. Velez, Aaron Spring, or go to the meetings they have every other Wednesday in Room 311.