Athlete of the Month: Luis de Jesus

John Kim, Sports Editor

Luis deJesus, a truly experienced and gifted baseball player, has left a lasting legacy in Ossining. His excellence as a team player and his skill as a player in general has earned him the position of the student athlete of the month for May. The Current met with Luis to discuss his prowess as a high school student and as a student athlete.

TC: What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment as a player?

LD: That’s tough to say, but I’d probably go with the walk-off sacrifice fly I hit in the C-Fed tournament to beat the reigning state champs, Byram Hills, this year. All because of what Christian Federico and #23 means to this program and to Ossining in general. It was a very special moment, especially with Lou Frederico there to see it all, and to see us go on to win the tournament the next day.

TC: What lead you to begin playing baseball?

LD: My dad. Baseball is big in my family; my grandfather, my dad, and 4 of my uncle’s used to play and are still huge baseball fans.

TC: What advice would you give to someone looking to play baseball?

LD: Be mentally prepared. Of course you’re going to have to be in peak physical form, but for the most part, baseball is a mental sport.

TC: What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced during your athletic career?

LD: The fight for a starting spot on the team ever since I joined Varsity level sophomore year. I wasn’t used to not starting, but it pushed me to work harder and earn my spot. I’ve started every game for the past 2 years since then.

TC: How has the team been performing at games?

LD: We’ve been streaky this season; when we’re doing well we’re playing extremely well, when we’re cold, it can get bad.we started off the season winning 5 straight games, then losing 6 straight, winning 4 more, then losing 4, and ending the season with a win.

TC: As a teammate, what is your greatest strength?

LD: the energy I bring to every practice and game. I like to have fun with everyone while playing, I like to create a positive atmosphere, and of course I like to win.

TC: What are some of your other interests?

I’m a big movie guy. I love both watching and making films, those are my other main passions.

TC: Will you be playing for a college team?

LD: Hopefully. I’m going to try out for the baseball team at NYU next year.

Luis deJesus’s passion for baseball and love for Ossining sports has truly impacted us all here at Ossining, and we are so glad to be able to call him part of the Ossining family. His work ethic and love for his teammates has made him such a great leader not only on his team, but also in his classes. We wish him a great time at NYU, and hope that he continues to radiate the positive energy he is known for for the rest of his life.