Artist of the Month: Adriana Scantianeu

Isabel Slingerland, Entertainment Editor

Throughout my high school career, I have had the pleasure of knowing this month’s honorary artist, Adriana Scantianeu. This young woman is more than deserving of this title as she is not only an amazing musical artist but she is also well accomplished in other aspects of her life. She has found much success in the science research program, she is a major leader of the math club, she participates in multiple sports, and is always willing to get involved with whatever projects need help. She has actually been working with me on almost a daily basis to help me learn This article however will follow her success in music at the high school.
To gain further insight on this topic, I sat down with Adriana to discuss her perspective on music.

When did you first get interested in music, and how?

“There was a piano in my house and my brother started playing it basically since the moment he was born. We messed around and eventually took lessons.”

What Instruments do you currently play?

“Piano, Clarinet, and Tenor Saxophone.”

How did you transition from piano to those other various instruments?

“When I was in third grade they offered us the option of pursuing an instrument through the school band and I picked clarinet. In relation to the Tenor Saxophone, I began this past summer because I wanted to get into a local band and get into Jazz.”

What type of music do you listen to?

“Kendrick Lamar, Jazz, and really anything that has a lot of thought behind the instrumentation and/or lyrics.”

Why do you love music?

“Music is art. Art is the physical manifestation of emotion. Without art, there is no tangible expression of emotion. “

What music groups are you involved in?

“I have been involved with the school band and on and off with the jazz band since 3rd grade. On occasion, I play piano in the Youth Wind Ensemble of Westchester. I am also a current member of a band called blueprint and have played in the past with a band called RDQ.”

How have others influenced you through music?

“My brother is really big into music and is currently minoring in Jazz at Stoney brook. I found it so beautiful how he could escape through his guitar when he was home and wanted to share in this serenity.”

How do you plan to continue with music after high school?

“I definitely want to jam with people in college and try to start a band or something like that there. Maybe I can join another Jazz band.”

Hopefully Adriana’s eloquence in answering the above interview questions highlight why she has been picked for this month’s honorary artist. To me, this award has been a long time coming. Congratulations Adriana!