An In-Depth Sit Down with the Incomparable Coach Leveille

Dina Barossi

Coach Leveille has experienced much success as a player and coach.

Dina Barossi, Layout Editor

Stephanie Leveille was one of the most accomplished student-athletes in the history of Ossining Athletics. Since graduating from OHS, Leveille has been inducted into the OHS Athletic Hall of Fame, and currently holds the record for most soccer goals in OHS history. Leveille currently coaches for Ossining and works as a special education teacher at Brookside School. “I am proud to give back to the community that gave so much to me,” says Leveille. The Current was able to sit down with the alumni and discuss her coaching experience.

TC: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Coach L: I am an Ossining Alumni, a Special Education teacher at Brookside School, I Coach Girls Varsity Soccer and Girls Basketball, and I’ve played Tennis, Basketball and Soccer at Ossining. I played both Tennis and Varsity Soccer as a 7th grader- I currently hold the most goals scored in OHS soccer history. I Played Varsity Basketball as an 8th grader and continued my education and athletic career at Hobart and William Smith where I studied Art History and Minored in Elementary and Special Education. I Played both Soccer and Basketball in College, and got inducted into the Ossining Hall of Fame. I am also the Mother of Twins Sammy and Teddylynn

TC: What should the top priorities of a High School athlete be?

Coach L: One priority of a High School Athlete should always be their academics. I always tell my students if you don’t have your education to drive you or fall back on, then continuing your career at the next level isn’t in your cards. Education is number one; family is always number two and third is your commitment and training for your sport. It is no longer good to just train during the season if you are committed and dedicated and wanting to be the best student athlete, you have to do the extra work on the off seasons.

TC: How do you evaluate players?And/ or choose captains?

Coach L: When evaluating my players I always tell my athletes you don’t have to be the best, you need to just be “coachable” and driven. As a coach, I look for athletes who are always striving to make themselves better and not just settling or giving up when things aren’t going right. I always say it is impossible to be perfect–no one is, but if you strive for perfection you most likely land close. I also love players who ask questions and play hard no matter if the coach is looking or not. That self-drive is hard to come by nowadays, but when it is there, you know you have a special student athlete. My college coach always said, ‘there is no growth in your comfort zone and there is no comfort in your growth zone.’ If an athlete can understand that if a coach pushes them and directs them to be better and is OK with their uncomfortable feeling (growth zone), then those are the players I look to keep. A lot of athletes just take that as the coach doesn’t like me, and I tell them, ‘if a coach is ignoring you, that means they have given up on you.’
As for captains, I look for what I look for in my players. Specifically, individuals who are self-driven, motivated, determined, positive, great communication skills, not afraid to talk to the team when situations are difficult, passionate, caring, and an extension of the coach.

TC: What sports do you coach in Ossining?

Coach L:I coach Girls Varsity Soccer and Girls Modified Basketball

TC: What are your goals this year for modified basketball and varsity soccer?

Coach L:My goals for Modified Basketball and Varsity Soccer are to help the girls and the program to make the best of each season–try and accomplish more than the year from before. I also want to set personal and team goals before each season and hopefully by the end of each season accomplish those goals.

TC: How are you helping your players develop during the offseason?

Coach L: We do a lot of off season training for Basketball. The girls play AAU in the spring and practice two times a week and play in tournaments on the weekend. They also play in a fall league at Club Fit which I personally believe helps contribute to their success during their season because a team that plays together all year round with their coach develops together. I am trying to create a similar off season training for soccer. This is the first year the girls’ varsity will play in a league together during the off season. We will practice twice a week in the spring and in the summer we will continue training and work on our conditioning three times a week with the help of Luis Inglesis, myself and other Ossining Alums.

TC: What are your academic and behavioral expectations for your players both on and off the court?

Coach L:I always tell my girls that they represent not only themselves, but their families and the whole Ossining Community. They should be role models for all that are watching both academically and athletically. We want to make sure our actions are always positive and classy. We never want to stoop down to our opponent’s level or be disrespectful to anyone in any way. I try and teach my players how to be active, positive and good citizens in this world. I believe through sports there are so many life lessons. Being an athlete isn’t about how many points you scored or goals you made. A successful athlete is an individual who learns how to push past their comfort zone, strive to always be better, accept defeat but learn and grow from those defeats. These are all traits that help us live a successful life. I tell my athletes when you leave the field or court you leave with strength, not just physical strength but mental strength that will help you surpass any obstacles you may face. You leave with experiences–experiences that help you problem solve or analyze a situation that you will encounter in life. But most of all, you learn what it means to be a teammate, friend and to care for others.

TC: How has coaching affected your life? What are your best and worst memories as a coach?

Coach L:Coaching is one of the many highlights of my day, other than teaching and spending time with my family. Coaching is just an extension of how I can give back to the Community that has given so much to me. It allows me to be a part of some many individual lives and families. The amount of relationships I have created over the years with my student-athletes and their families is endless and priceless. I am extremely fortunate to be given the honor to coach in Ossining and influence the lives I do because without my positive coaching experiences who knows where or who would be in my life. As far as worst memories as a coach, those are far and few between, and I have been lucky to only have a few (which usually relate to games we have lost).

In addition to interviewing Coach Leveille, we had the chance to speak to some coaches and student athletes to hear from them as to how Coach Leveille has made an impact on them as students and athletes.

“Coach leveille is an amazing and determined coach that is able to turn individual players into a team. She is always there for her team in each sport that she coaches, and knows how to be successful. I couldn’t be more grateful to have had her as a coach”-Jalay Knowles

“Coach Steph means more to me than she will ever know. She has been such a huge part of my life and I don’t know what I would do without her. She’s the best coach I’ve ever had. I was never able to emotionally connect to any coach except for her. She taught me not only how to be a great basketball and soccer player, but also how to carry myself and how to be a good person. When I grow up I want to be just like her. She’s strong-willed and doesn’t take anything from anyone. These past few years with her as my coach and mentor have been the best–I wouldn’t change a thing. She’s an amazing person and an even better coach. I’m looking forward to another great soccer season with her next fall”-Gabby Ferrao

***
The Current would like to thank coach Stephanie Leveille for her constant will to give back to the Ossining community. Good luck next season!