Ultimate Frisbee, Varsity Sport or Intramurals?

Yoo Shin Tanai, Staff Writer

Can you imagine a sport that is co-ed, non-contact, mashes together football and soccer, and is one of the fastest growing sports around the world? That is the definition of Ultimate Frisbee, which involves a team of 7 players working together to move a Frisbee into an opposing team’s end zone to score points. Ultimate Frisbee currently has teams on the high school, collegiate, and even the professional level, where teams compete internationally every year. Just like soccer, Ultimate Frisbee is played in 80 countries, for its accessibility. All you need is a Frisbee or disc, and a few cones to set up a field.

The Ossining High School Ultimate Frisbee Club, advised by science teacher Jonathan Dobelle, has been growing in its membership and role within the Frisbee community. This year, the team has joined a league of high schools around Westchester, including John Jay, Horace Greeley, Scarsdale, Mamaroneck, and Fox Lane. Although the team has been facing challenges against better equipped teams with more players, it is hopeful that the team can grow in number and experience. This fall Ossining went against many of these schools, and another season is currently taking place in the spring. Sectionals are expected to be held on May 14th.

The league is also seeking to make Ultimate Frisbee a varsity sport, and action has been taken to petition the director of the New York State Public High School Athletics Association, Robert Zayas, which currently has 2,878 petitioners supporting it (link below). Ultimate Frisbee is a sport that is open to all sorts of players, but funding is needed from schools to be able to provide transportation and insurance for players, as well as much-appreciated equipment. In addition, teams face difficulty organizing matches, and it’s difficult to get a coach who is only able to join on a volunteer basis. Mr. Dobelle, our advisor, plays Ultimate on his own in adult leagues, but is busy with his teaching and cannot devote all of his time. However, the petition has taken a step forward, and the State Athletic Director, Robert Zayas discussed the topic at a statewide athletic conference in November of 2015 with athletic directors from Mamaroneck and Fox Lane.

Perhaps one day Ultimate Frisbee will join the likes of other varsity level sports.

If you are interested, our team is always out on the grass field after-school, enjoying the game.

https://www.change.org/p/new-york-state-public-high-school-athletics-association-robert-zayas-recognize-ultimate-frisbee-as-a-new-york-state-varsity-sport