Underclass Exemption

Underclass+Exemption

Darwin Arias, Staff Writer

Ossining High School is one of the many public schools in Westchester that provides a  handful of diverse sports and opportunities for their students to become active, make new friends, and enjoy their high school experience.OHS offers many engaging sports and after-school activities to keep their educated students active and progressive all through the school year; contributing what they have to each sports team, but overall are very supportive of every team and try their best to encourage their students to get involved.

For students to graduate and get involved physically in different activities and games, physical education is a mandatory one period class every other day. P.E. class teaches and informs students how to play certain sports and how to become active in their day to day lives. Often times, students enjoy their P.E. class because of the competitiveness of the games and the ability to become active along with their friends. Physical Education offers a variety of activities to choose from to suit each students interests; these include, Indoor Volleyball, Team Handball, Frisbee, Soccer, Snowshoeing, Basketball, Badminton, and Leisure Sports such as Yoga. However, other classes are also provided for those interested in other areas of activities which include Intro To Dance and Unified Sports in which take place instead of their P.E. class.  

Ossining High School provides 3 season sports allowing students to become active all throughout the school year. These sports include, Boys and Girls Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Boys and Girls Soccer, Lacrosse, Boys and Girls Swimming, Baseball, Softball, Field Hockey, Boys and Girls Tennis, etc. Ossining High School also provides an exemption from their Physical Education class, or Intro to Dance class, for students who play any type of varsity sport. However underclassmen, freshmen, are not allowed the exemption even if they are on a varsity sports team. This has created heated controversial arguments and has kept some of these freshmen frustrated and discontent about going to gym. Along with the underclassmen, athletes who participate in outside competitive sports including club sports such as Downstate Volleyball, are also not exempt from gym. Many students have argued with their gym instructors and have lost due to the strict policy. But is this policy really fair to those who do other sports and exercise outside school hours?. It should be the proper and fair thing to allow a P.E. or Intro to Dance exemption for others who are underclassmen on Varsity sports teams or outside club sports not in school. Therefore, should all students who participate in sports including athletes on JV sports teams or after school club sports such as the Frisbee Club; who practice and compete, be exempt from gym? Although it may not seem to be a problem, but the change of this policy could possibly bring great things such as encouraging kids to become more involved in out-of-school sports, jv sports, or after school club sports as well as dedicate time to work on their school work in the library.