The student newspaper of Ossining High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

Intervening in College Interviews?

College: UGH. But once you get past your fear of the grueling, unfair process, there are a number of things that help you get a leg up, maybe even two. Some colleges offer interviews in a number of different forums: with an admissions officer, alumnus, or even a current student. They can be a great opportunity – or a true waste of time.

A concept in applying is “demonstrated interest.” These schools want students who want to be there, so unless you’re Dan McQuaid, don’t hold your breath. Over the summer I toured a school which equated having an interview with increased aid upon acceptance. I seized the opportunity and signed up for an interview that night! But, as in life, there are people who don’t make the most of certain opportunities. On another interview with a member of the Board of Trustees (luck of the draw) I sat and spoke for three hours. Not about how much I loved the school, but rather about how her husband wouldn’t let her eat junk food. By all accounts a nice talk, but not a productive one.

There are these major categories of schools – three to be specific: schools that value these interviews, schools that don’t care, and schools that don’t offer interviews at all. If your school doesn’t offer interviews, sit down and figure out how else to demonstrate your interest (on and off campus events). Telling the difference between those that care and those that don’t is not easy. If you are lucky, the interviews will be described as evaluative or informational, but I am still in favor of going for it.

This your future. So make the most of the opportunities. Even if the interview is three hours you can say that you tried and did the best that you could – and hey, bad interviews are short, not long. Be proactive and sign up for interviews! Both on campus (when visiting campuses) and through alumni, make sure you are prepared and know what you want to say. While it is a great opportunity, you have to make sure that translates into a great experience.