Athlete of the Month: Jhada Francis

Somari Davis, Opinions Editor

The Current features track & field runner Jhada Francis as the Athlete of the Month of December. She is a member of the soccer team in the fall and is captain of the track team during the winter and spring seasons. Aside from being an all-around athlete, Jhada distinguishes herself from her peers because of her immense dedication towards these sports.  The Current interviewed with Jhada Francis to discuss her experiences and passion for sports:

TC: What inspired you to start running track & field?

JF: I was initially pushed by my mom to start running, but like any other high school, I didn’t listen. It wasn’t until my middle school gym teachers encouraged me to join the team. I thought ‘why not give it a shot, it can’t be that bad.’

TC: Which is your favorite season? Spring or Winter?

JF: Spring is by far my favorite track season, because not only does the distances for sprinting events change but we’re no longer couped inside. We’re out, enjoying the warm weather and for me more events.

TC: Do have an aspirations for this year? Are you looking to PR this year?

JF: Without a doubt, I’m always looking to PR. Once I achieve one goal, I’m on to the next.

TC: As a senior are you looking to continue to run track & field in college?

JF: Yes, I would love to continue competing in track.

TC: What are you most looking forward to this year for track?

JF: I am looking forward to both seasons as a whole, but if I had to chose, I would say the bigger, more competitive meets. That’s when I make more friends and get the opportunity to push myself a little bit more.

TC: Which do you like better soccer or track? If no favorite what do you like about both?

JF: I love both sports, they both have their pros and cons. I think what I like most about soccer is the team aspect, it’s like having a second family. With track, the team is so large and divided by events, you don’t really get the chance to interact with everyone on the team. One thing track has that soccer lacks, is the individual focus. One teammate’s performance does not largely affect anothers

TC: What do you most like about track?

JF: One thing I like most about track is that I’m able to focus on my individual goals while still having the support of my team.

TC: Any advice for those who might be interested in running?

JF: “Just do it.” – Nike, seriously, if it has crossed your mind, you should do it. It’s a good way to meet new people and have new experiences. I’ve been introduced to so many new things and people because I joined track, and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.