Marlins Star Pitcher José Fernández Tragically Dies In Boating Accident

Elliott Reichman, Managing Editor

On September 25th, 2016, we lost one of the most inspirational baseball players and human beings of all time, José Fernández. José Fernández was just 24 years old at the timer of his death, and his story is not just that of a phenomenal ball player, but someone with perseverance in his blood.

Early in the morning of Sunday September 25, 2016, José Fernández was killed in a boating accident near Miami Beach, Florida, that also killed two others. The Coast Guard found the boat at about 3:00 a.m., overturned on a jetty, where they found the three victims.A Florida Wildlife Commission official confirmed that Fernández had not been driving the boat and that he had been killed from the impact of the crash. There were no drugs or alcohol on the boat, but Fernández and his friends weren’t wearing life jackets. The cause of the accident remains to be seen.

In response to the tragic death of Fernández, the Miami Marlins cancelled their game with the Atlanta Braves that day, retired Fernández’s number (16), and held an emotional news conference that day, highlighting the team’s connection to Fernández as a teammate. As a ball player, Fernández debuted for the Marlins in 2013 after being drafted by them in the very first round of the 2011 draft. His career statistics mark him as one of the most successful pitchers in the game today, and had the potential to be one of the all time greats in the sport of professional baseball. José Fernández left baseball with a 38-17 win-loss record, a 2.58 earned run average, 589 strikeouts, a 1.05 whip, 2 All-Star selections, and a the 2013 NL Rookie Of The Year. Fernández’s last game was on September 20. He pitched eight shutout innings in a 1–0 win against the division-leading Nationals, striking out 12 batters and allowing just three hits with no walks.

The story of José Fernández is about much more than baseball prominence. Fernández was born in Santa Clara, Cuba, and defected to the United States in 2008. Fernández attempted to flee Cuba four times, and was jailed for the third. His fourth attempt was successful, escaping Cuba to America with his mother and sister via Mexico. Whilst on the open waters, Fernández noticed someone fall off the boat. Being a good swimmer, Fernández didn’t question his decision to jump into the water, pulling the person to safety. This person whose life was saved by Fernández turned out to be his mother.

Once in the United States, Fernández had trouble adjusting at the age of 15. Though the new technologies and the new language were foreign to him, there was one familiar aspect that Fernández could identify with. Baseball. Fernández threw 90+ mph fastballs in high school, hence why he was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft.

José Fernández leaves the world with a soon to be born daughter, has loved life, loved baseball, and will be missed dearly.