Lessons from the OHS Lockout

themash.com

Smartphone app Yik Yak was the medium through which the anonymous threats causing OHS’s lockdown were posted.

Malahni Banta, Staff Writer

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: social media is not for everyone.

While social media has become a common form of communication, learning, the relaying of news and information, and connecting with people who have common interests, it seems that some people, like with most things, have taken to the misuse and abuse of the internet in recent weeks, and have gone so far as to post inappropriate comments on social media that could easily be interpreted as a threat to the students and staff in the Ossining Union Free School District.

After inappropriate comments were posted online, the posts were brought to the attention of administrative staff in the building, who promptly contacted authorities about these alleged posts. On September 24th, the high school was placed on lockdown for over an hour, and police officers searched and secured the school before confirming our safety as students and staff. While this search was underway, all other schools in the district were placed under a lockout, which forbids individuals from entering or exiting the buildings.

While social media can often be a positive tool, one which many people appreciate in today’s day and age, it can also be crippling for those who are not mature or responsible enough to realize two facts about it: there is always someone watching, and anything you post online will last forever.

It is my hope, along with many others, that people take this experience and learn that negative actions have negative consequences, and some things just aren’t meant to be joked about.