The Love of Three Oranges

Benjamin Feinstein

The school’s poster for the play.

Somari Davis, Staff Writer

It’s that time of the school year already. The fall play has arrived! This year at Ossining High School, the production chosen was The Love of Three Oranges, written by Hillary DePiano. After sitting down with Ms. Beattie–the school’s drama teacher as well as OHS’ director for all drama club productions–I learned the synopsis of the play. According to Ms. Beattie, the play is “a crazy fairytale, inspired by commedia dell’arte, but, adapted for a more contemporary audience.” The Love of Three Oranges has your everly classic characters, the prince, the king, the jester, the beautiful princess, the great antagonist of a witch, as well as the narrator who leads the audience through this amazing play.

This year the fall production brings a new style for OHS’ actors and actresses, according to Ms. Beattie. It challenges the actors to “own” their lines, allowing them to embody the characters and be influenced by the improvity of the script, as well as to be able to add little quirks of their own to their characters. A similar genre of theatre was done in OHS’ winter production a few years ago, but this is a first for the fall productions.

Ms. Beattie reported that the production start date is earlier than usual this year, thus the students must work even harder to be ready on time.  Confident, Ms. Beattie believes that the actors are doing a great job with this new challenge and are “at a good pace.”

I had the chance to meet up with two of the show’s stars: Miguel Garcia and Claudia Tesoro.  I was able to get a sneak peek of the actors’ point of view of this whole production:

Do you think the cast and crew are having a good time putting the show together?

Miguel Garcia: A beautiful time. We are definitely working hard.

Claudia Tesoro: We are having a good time because, putting a on a show as a team is bonding and that is the best part.

Do you think this show is different from others that have been performed at OHS?

Miguel Garcia: I think that every show is unique.  But, what makes this one different is that it breaks the fourth wall of theater.

Claudia Tesoro: I second that!

*The Fourth Wall of Theater- When the actors within the play interact with the audience*

Has it been difficult with the short time span?

Claudia Tesoro:  Losing the second month, which we usually have, is crucial, it makes it harder to prepare.

Miguel Garcia: It’s a hard task to accomplish but, I know we can do it.

Do you think that with the different type of play, a different set of actors were brought out?

Claudia Tesoro:  I think it’s the same group of actors that audition [including the freshmen] but with a new challenge.

The Love of Three Oranges brings a new set of challenges, the element of surprise, a sense of uniqueness, comedy, and a great group of actors. Come watch the OHS drama club perform on Thursday, October 23rd, Friday, October 24th, and Saturday, October 25th.